Figure Number Five
|Figure Number Five|
|Studio album by Soilwork|
|Released||22 April 2003|
Guitars & Keyboards - Queenstreet Recording (December 2002 - January 2003)
Drums - Dug-Out Productions (January 2003)Vocals & Bass - Studio Fredman (January - February 2003)
|Genre||Melodic death metal, alternative metal|
|Rock Hard (de)||9.5/10|
Figure Number Five is the fifth full-length album released by the Swedish melodic death metal band Soilwork. The record was released on 22 April 2003 through Nuclear Blast label. On this release, the band introduces more alternative metal sound than their melodic death metal style.
A few different editions of this album existed upon release. The normal release with eleven tracks, as well as a limited edition release with a second CD of their 1997 demo. The limited vinyl version of the album features two discs - this album and Natural Born Chaos, black and the other a white-colored vinyl. The Japanese version of the album includes one bonus track, entitled "Bursting Out."
This album marked keyboardist Sven Karlsson's first attempts at songwriting for the band. While it is not necessarily interconnected with the keyboardist songwriting, this album features more use of the keyboard and lighter melodies. The album is considered a more commercial sound by most fans of Swedish death metal, but it arguably gives the music a broader appeal. However, vocalist Björn Strid has said the album has good melodies but lacks in intensity and could've been better composed; many fans and critics considered the album "rushed".
Music videos were made for the songs "Rejection Role" and "Light the Torch." In Flames appeared in the "Rejection Role" video, which featured the two bands being seemingly hostile towards each other (early in the video, a member of In Flames can be seen holding up a sign that says "Sellout" as the band drives by Soilwork). On the In Flames video of "Trigger" Soilwork appeared and were made interchangeably as a joke to the fans that either band had any indifferences with each other. This was the last album to feature Henry Ranta on drums.
In 2005, Figure Number Five was ranked number 398 in Rock Hard magazine's book of The 500 Greatest Rock & Metal Albums of All Time.
All Lyrics By Strid.
|CD 1 and regular version - Figure Number Five|
|3.||"Figure Number Five"||Wichers||3:12|
|5.||"Light the Torch"||Karlsson||3:41|
|7.||"Cranking the Sirens"||Karlsson, Sten||3:26|
|12.||"Bursting Out" (Japan bonus track)||3:33|
|CD 2 exclusively for the limited edition - Demo 1997|
|1.||"Bound to Illusions"||2:49|
|3.||"In a Close Encounter"||3:02|
|4.||"Skin after Skin"||3:23|
|5.||"Wake Up Call"||3:45|
|6.||"Steel Bath Suicide"||2:56|
|German Albums Chart ||57|
- Björn "Speed" Strid − Vocals
- Peter Wichers − Guitars
- Ola Frenning − Guitars
- Ola Flink − Bass guitar
- Sven Karlsson − Keyboards
- Henry Ranta − Drums
- Jens Broman − Guest vocals on "Figure Number Five"
- Richard Larsson − Tambourine on "Brickwalker"
- Bryan Kaschak - Guitar on "Cranking the Sirens"
|Europe||22 April 2003|
|Canada||5 May 2003|
- Allmusic review
- Kaiser, Boris. "Rock Hard review". issue 192. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- SOILWORK | Interviews | Rockdetector
- [...], Rock Hard (Hrsg.). [Red.: Michael Rensen. Mitarb.: Götz Kühnemund] (2005). Best of Rock & Metal die 500 stärksten Scheiben aller Zeiten. Königswinter: Heel. p. 50. ISBN 3-89880-517-4.
- Certification award levels Archived July 26, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. IFPI. Retrieved August, 2009.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2012-02-16.