Raja Flumpet, B♭
|Inventor(s)||Art Farmer, David Monette|
|Trumpet, flugelhorn, cornet|
|Art Farmer, Mark Isham, Charles Schlueter|
The Flumpet is a hybrid brass horn instrument that shares the construction and timbre qualities of a trumpet and flugelhorn. The Flumpet was invented for Art Farmer by David Monette and is currently in production by Monette. The Flumpet has a pitch of B♭ (B flat).
The Flumpet was designed in 1989 and borrows the three piston valve design of both the trumpet and flugelhorn and shares the same instrument length of a trumpet. The curves on the end of the Flumpet have a resemblance to shepherd's crooks. The mouthpiece is deeply conical which tapers slightly, as opposed to the trumpet mouthpiece which has an extreme taper to create a bowl shape. The sound of the Flumpet is described as thicker and richer than a flugelhorn and more mellow and rounded than that of a trumpet. During its creation, metal-worker David Monette wanted to produce an instrument that broke design barriers but ultimately maintained its usefulness.
The Flumpet has been described as "capable of both warmth and sharp attack", taking advantage of the softer sound produced by the flugelhorn, advantageous in smaller and more intimate venues, whilst still being capable of producing the more familiar harder tones of a trumpet. The tone has been described as having "characteristics of a flugelhorn, but not nearly as brittle. It has the response of a cornet, but again the sound quality is broader and more resonant."
Recordings and performances
- "Flumpet Creator Succumbs (Obituary)". Jet. 1999 – via EBSCOhost.
- Koehler, Elisa (2014). Fanfares and Finesse: A Performer's Guide to Trumpet History and Literature. Indiana University Press. p. 55. ISBN 978-0253011794. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Flumpet II". Monette. Archived from the original on 2003-08-14.
- "Monette Flumpet™". The Middle Horn. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Dawson, Gary (1998). "David Monette and Tami Dean: Harmonic Collaboration". Metalsmith. no. 3.
- Fordham, John. "Art Farmer". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Dryden, Ken. "Scotty Barnhart Reviews/Quotes". scottybarnhart.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Provenance". vincejones.com. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Andrews, Laura (October 16, 1997). "Art Farmer's Silk Road - A Triumph of the Flumpet". New York Amsterdam News, Issue 42 – via EBSCOhost.
- Stewart, Frank. "A New Horn". The Atlantic. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Mark Isham Featuring Charles Lloyd – Afterglow (Music From The Motion Picture)". Discogs. Retrieved 13 December 2017.