Fox Plaza (Los Angeles)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alternative names||20th Century Fox Plaza|
|Location||2121 Avenue of the Stars|
Century City, Los Angeles, California
|Owner||Irvine Company LLC|
|Roof||150 m (490 ft)|
|Floor area||90,115 m2 (969,990 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Johnson, Fain and Pereira Associates|
|Structural engineer||John A. Martin & Associates|
|Main contractor||Al Cohen Construction|
Completed in 1987, the building's architects were Scott Johnson, Bill Fain, and William L. Pereira. Fox Plaza is the last building that William Pereira worked on before his death in 1985 and he did not live long enough to see it open.
In a 2018 tour for Variety, the chief engineer of the building noted how the Fox Plaza has a large number of redundancies in its design, and he speculates that it's because it was intended as a filming location.
The building has been featured in at least four major motion pictures released by Fox. In the 1988 action film Die Hard it was portrayed as the fictional Nakatomi Plaza. Almost the entire film was shot in the plaza, aside from a few scenes showing a Christmas party. The damaged version of the tower was made via a scale model special effect.
The plaza and a neighboring building are the main setting for the rock & roll comedy Airheads. Fox Plaza was also one of the buildings brought down at the end of Fight Club. The building is also used for the corporate offices of Chimera Gas in the surrealistic road movie Motorama and is also portrayed as the headquarters for Spencer Publications on the soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful. It was also featured in the Fox comedy series Brooklyn Nine-Nine season 5 episode 9.
- "Fox Plaza". CTBUH Skyscraper Center.
- Fox Plaza at Emporis
- "Fox Plaza". SkyscraperPage.
- Fox Plaza at Structurae
- "Fox Plaza - Office Building for Rent - Los Angeles, CA". www.irvinecompanyoffice.com. Archived from the original on 2018-07-30. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- Company, Irvine. "Irvine Company's Fox Plaza Captures Prestigious Regional Industry Award, Irvine Company". Irvine Company. Archived from the original on 2018-07-30. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- "Fox Plaza: Nice Style, Poor Design". Los Angeles Times. 1987-09-20. ISSN 0458-3035. Archived from the original on 2015-10-17. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- Andy Lewis (26 September 2013). "Inside Ronald Reagan's 'Die Hard' Office in Century City". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- "Fox Plaza | Los Angeles Conservancy". www.laconservancy.org. Archived from the original on 2016-07-29. Retrieved 2019-03-21.
- Tapley, Kristopher (2018-07-29). "'Die Hard' Celebrates 30th Anniversary with Outdoor 'Nakatomi Tower' Screening". Variety. Archived from the original on 2018-07-29. Retrieved 2018-07-30.