Frank R. Zindler (born 1939) is an American atheist who served as interim president of the atheist organization American Atheists in 2008. He was former professor of biology and geology, and Chairman, Division of Science, Nursing, & Technology, at Fulton-Montgomery Community College of the State University of New York. He is both editor of American Atheist Magazine and Director of American Atheists Press. In the spring of 2011, he published a multi-volume anthology of his short essays and other works.
Zindler is an outspoken opponent of Creationism and has participated in several Evolution v. Creation debates. He also had a famous debate with philosopher and theologian William Lane Craig at Willow Creek Community Church, South Barrington, IL on June 27, 1993.
Zindler is also a proponent of the mythicist theory that no historical person lies behind the Gospel picture of Jesus of Nazareth. After the publication of Bart Ehrman's 2012 book Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth arguing (from a non-religious perspective) for the existence of a historical Jesus, Zindler and Robert M. Price co-edited an anthology of essays by various mythicists arguing against Ehrman's position.
Zindler has authored, co-authored or edited several texts on atheism:
- Zindler, Frank R. (1991). Dial an Atheist: Greatest Hits from Ohio. American Atheist Press. ISBN 978-1578849505.
- Paine, Thomas (1993). Zindler, Frank, ed. The Age of Reason: Examination of the Prophecies. American Atheist Press. ISBN 978-0910309707.
- Ingersol, Robert G.; Zindler, Frank R. (1997). A Few Reasons for doubting the Inspiration of the Bible. American Atheist Press. ISBN 978-1578849505.
- Drews, Arthur; Zindler, Frank R. (1997). The Legend of Saint Peter: A Contribution of Mythology to Christianity. American Atheist Press. ISBN 978-1578849512.
- Zindler, Frank R. (2003). The Jesus the Jews Never Knew. American Atheist Press. ISBN 978-1578849161.
- Price, Robert M.; Zindler, Frank R. (2010). The Case Against The Case For Christ: A New Testament Scholar Refutes the Reverend Lee Strobel. American Atheist Press. ISBN 978-1578840052.
- Riskas, Thomas; Zindler, Frank R. (2011). Deconstructing Mormonism: An Analysis and Assessment of the Mormon Faith. American Atheist Press. ISBN 978-1578840076.
- Zindler, Frank R. (2011). Through atheist eyes: scenes from a world that won't reason. American Atheist Press. ISBN 978-1578840113.
- Zindler, Frank R.; Price, Robert M. (2013). Bart Ehrman and the Quest of the Historical Jesus of Nazareth. American Atheist Press. ISBN 978-1578840199.
- American Atheists. "American Atheists". American Atheists. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "Frank R. Zindler (Biographical Information)". The Secular Web. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Biography at World of Reason
- Biography at Secular Student Alliance
- "Atheism vs. Christianity: Where Does the Evidence Point?". PhilVaz. Archived from the original on December 17, 2011. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- Zindler, Frank and Robert Price (2013). Bart Ehrman and the Quest of the Historical Jesus of Nazareth: An Evaluation of Ehrman’s Did Jesus Exist?. American Atheist Press.
- "Frank R. Zindler". Bookfinder. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Frank Zindler profile at The Jesus Project
- Westfall, Marilyn (20 August 2007). "An Interview with Frank Zindler". Eloquent Atheist.
- "Frank Zindler - The Christ Myth," interview on the Point of Inquiry Podcast
- A Life Celebration: Frank Zindler
| President of American Atheists