Frederick Douglas Stephan Baker
26 January 1965
|Spouse(s)||Sandra Fasolt Baker|
He was born in Salzburg and was brought up in London. After graduating from Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School for Boys, he studied Anthropology and Archaeology at St John’s College, Cambridge, Tübingen and Sheffield Universities, finishing with a Ph.D. from Cambridge University.
He is a Senior Research Associate at the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, Cambridge University, specialising in Digital Humanities, Heritage, and Prehistoric Rock Art. He is a co-founder of the EU-funded 3D Pitoti digital heritage project and co-director of the Cambridge University Prehistoric Picture Project.
He divides his time between London, Berlin and Vienna, producing and directing films, as well as writing articles and books. In the book The Art of Projectionism (2007) he defined a projectionist school of filmmaking and media art. In this publication he also presented "ambient film", a surround experience that can be shown in specially developed "ambient cinemas". His first narrative ambient short, Ruhetag, was premiered in Vienna in 2007. Ring Road: A Viennese Odyssey, the first ambient feature film, was premiered at the Biennale in Seville in 2008.
His interview partners include Yoko Ono, George H. W. Bush, Mikhail Gorbachev, Václav Havel, Shimon Peres, Helmut Kohl, John Major, Michel Rocard, Tadeusz Mazowiecki, Amalia Rodrigues, Cardinal Franz König, Lord Norman Foster, Sir Ernst Gombrich, Simon Wiesenthal, Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia, Joseph Stalin’s grandson and Vivienne Westwood.
Baker has taught film at the Donau University, Krems and St. Pölten University of Applied Sciences in Austria. He has lectured on film, media and journalism at the Bauhaus University, Weimar, the Universität der Künste in Berlin and Middlesex University in London. He currently teaches film as part of the Screen Media and Culture Group at Cambridge University. His specialties include cinema of Austria, new media art and television documentary. For the Museum of Applied Arts, Vienna he created 'Klimt's Magic Garden: A Virtual Reality Experience by Frederick Baker' (2018).
- Goodbye to Berlin's Big Brother (BBC Late Show) (1994)
- Correspondent - 12 reports from Central Europe (BBC Current Affairs) (1995-2000)
- Killing Time - the 48 hour week (BBC Assignment) (1995)
- Right to Reply - Bloody Bosnia (Channel 4) (1995)
- Stories My Country Told Me: The Meaning of Nationhood - Eric Hobsbawn and Slovakian Nationalism (for BBC Arena) (1996)
- Austrian-Jewish Cultural Festival (ORF Culture) (1996)
- Shopping for King Arthur (ORF Culture) (1996)
- Women Priests in England (ORF) (1996)
- The First Silent Night (BBC Music) (1997)
- Die erste Stille Nacht (Media Europa/ORF) (1997)
- Re-cycling Churches in England (ORF Religion) (1997)
- Fado: Religion und Music in Portugal (ORF Religion) (1997)
- The German Giant - Helmut Kohl (BBC Correspondent Special) (1998)
- Viennese Jews on the Thames (Austrian Cultural Institute, London) (1998)
- Big Brother - The Stasi - East Germany's Secret Police (BBC Correspondent Special) (1999)
- Magic Lantern: Václav Havel & Revolution (BBC Correspondent Special) (1999)
- Stille Nacht - Ein Lied geht um die Welt (Media Europa/ORF) (1999)
- Stalin- der Rote Gott (ORF/ Rainer Moritz Arts) (1999)
- Rebuilding the Reichstag (BBC Omnibus) (1999)
- The Haider Show (BBC Correspondent) (2000)
- Stalin: Red God (BBC Arena) (2000)
- The Kabbala Oratorio (ORF - Bayern Alpha) (2002)
- Deutschland Deutschland: Sigmund Nissels musikalische Reise (ORF/3SAT) (2002)
- Imagine IMAGINE (BBC Arena/ORF) (2003)
- Creme Bavaroise: obazt is Gerhard Polt & die Biermöslblosn (Media Europa) (2003)
- Shadowing the Third Man (with Silverapples Media for BBC/ORF) (2004)
- Anziehendes Österreich - Modische Inszenierungen von Kopf bis Fuss (With Sandra Fasolt) (2005)
- Testing Mozart (BBC/ ORF/ Arte/ Euroarts) (2006)
- Romy Schneider- Eine Frau in drei Noten (ORF/ARTE) (2008)
- Kultur des Widerstands (ORF/ Filmbäckerei) (2010)
- Widerstand in Haiderland (Filmbäckerei/Polyfilm) (2010)
- 2008: Homosexuell und dennoch Christ (ORF, Kreuz & Quer): Leopold Ungar Preis. Fredrick Baker wurde gemeinsam mit Sandra Fasolt für den Beitrag "Homosexuell und dennoch Christ" (ORF, Kreuz & Quer) mit dem Anerkennungspreis in der Kategorie TV ausgezeichnet. Der Bericht kratze massiv an Vorurteilen und stelle festgefahrene Haltungen der Kirche in Frage, so die Begründung der Jury -> Caritas Wien
- 2007: Shadowing the Third Man: Finalist, Hollywood Film Festival and Belgrade International Film Festival; Finalist, URTI International Film Festival, Monte Carlo.
- 2006: Shadowing the Third Man won 1st Overall Prize for best documentary at the Festival di Palazzo Venezia_Arte 2006 in Rome.
- 2005: Shadowing the Third Man was selected for the Cannes Film Festival. Imagine IMAGINE was awarded the World Gold Medal for feature documentaries in the category Film and Video at the New York Festivals 2005. Deutschland, Deutschland was awarded the Silver Remi at the Worldfest in the Houston International film festival.
- 2004: Stalin: Red God won a Bronze Remi at the Worldfest Houston - category History and Archaeology films. Imagine IMAGINE was awarded a Golden Prague award (Special Mention) in the documentary category at the 41st Golden Prague International Film Festival in the documentary category. Jury statement:"Through an iconic song, this film paints a colourful portrait of a global generation."
- 2003: Deutschland, Deutschland was selected as a finalist in the Hollywood Film Festival and showcased at the Arclight Theater on Sunset Boulevard. It also made the finals of the PRIX EUROPA in Berlin, as one of the top ten in Europe in the multi-cultural documentary category - "Iris". The film was shortlisted for the Golden Prague Music documentary award in Prague. It was selected for the Academia festival in Olomouc and the Hradec Kralovy in the Czech Republic, and for the Golden Chest award in Bulgaria.
- 2002: Rebuilding the Reichstag won the Architectural Education award at 26th Festival International du Film d'Art et Pedagogique (FIFAP) Paris. Stalin: Red God was awarded the Golden Gate Award in the category History film at the 45th San Francisco International Film festival 2002. It was also a Finalist at the Banff film festival, the New York TV festival 2002.
- 2001: Stalin: Red God was jointly awarded the prize for best documentary at the 36th International Academia film festival in Olomouc, Czech Republic. It made the finals of the UNESCO festival in Paris, Maremma Doc, in Italy, and DocumentArt festival in Germany, Mediawave in Hungary, Palic in Yugoslavia & Booz,Allen Hamilton Award, Diagonale, Graz, Austria.
- 2001: The Correspondent series 2000 (including The Haider Show, Dr. Gross and Lojze Wieser) was awarded the prize for best TV Programme by the Royal Television society in London.
- 2001: The Haider Show was nominated for the Diagonale Documentary Prize, Graz.
- 2000: Rebuilding the Reichstag: Grand Prix at Techfilm 2000 - the 38th International Arts and Technology Film Festival, Czech Republic.
- 1997: Stories My Country Told Me: The Meaning of Nationhood - Eric Hobsbawn and Slovakian Nationalism: “Gold Hugo” – the top award in the category Social/ Political Documentary, INTERCOM film festival, Chicago. Also selected for and shown at the Jewish Film Festival, Vienna 1998.
- Die beschämte Republik. Österreich 10 jahre nach Schwarz-Blau (Ed. with Petra Herczeg), Czernin Verlag, Vienna, 2010.
- The Art of Projectionism, Czernin Verlag, Vienna, 2007
- Salzburg Erlesen (edited by Frederick Baker), Wieser Verlag, Klagenfurt, 2007
- The Reichstag Graffiti / Die Reichstag Graffiti (with Norman Foster and Deborah Lipstadt), Jovis Verlag, Berlin, 2003
- "The Red Army graffiti in the Reichstag, Berlin: politics of rock-art in a contemporary European urban landscape" in European Landscapes of Rock-Art, edited by George Nash and Christopher Chippindale, Routledge, London, 2002
- Der dritte Mann: Auf den Spuren eines Filmklassikers (with Brigitte Timmermann), Czernin Verlag, Vienna, 2002
- Wiener Wandertage: eine Dokumentation (edited by Frederick Baker & Elisabeth Boyer), Wieser Verlag, Klagenfurt, 2002
- Pitoti Digital Rock Art from Ancient Europe
- Prehistoric Picture Project
- Wien International, 18.10.2007 Archived 2009-02-20 at the Wayback Machine
- Fundación Bienal Internacional de Arte Contemporáneo de Sevilla, Información General 01.10.2008 Archived April 12, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- ZKM Museum für Neue Kunst (Karlsruhe)
- The Independent (London), 06.09.1998
- Screen Media and Cultures, University of Cambridge[permanent dead link]
- Stories My Country Told Me: The Meaning of Nationhood - Eric Hobsbawn and Slovakian Nationalism. Retrieved 29 April 2016.
- Hollywood Film Festival 2007 Film Program Archived 2007-10-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Festival di Palazzo Venezia_Arte, September, 2006
- Festival de Cannes, 2005