Fuiste un Trozo de Hielo en la Escarcha
|"Fuiste un Trozo de Hielo en la Escarcha"|
|Single by Chayanne|
|from the album Chayanne II|
|Format||Airplay · Promo single|
Critiera Moon Studios
Capitol Recording Studios
Ocean Way Recording Studios
|Writer(s)||J. M. Cano|
|Chayanne singles chronology|
"Fuiste un Trozo de Hielo en la Escarcha" (English: "You Were a Piece of Ice in the Frost") is a ballad written by J. M. Cano, produced by Ronnie Foster and performed by Puerto Rican singer Chayanne. It was released as the third single from the Grammy nominated studio album Chayanne II (1988) and became the first number-one single for the singer in the Billboard Hot Latin Tracks chart in late 1989 and the first number-one single by a Puerto Rican musician.
27 second sample from Chayanne's ballad "Fuiste un Hielo en la Escharcha".
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
The lyrics for "Fuiste un Trozo de Hielo en la Escarcha" deal with the end of a romantic relationship, and the singer tells the story of a girl who leaves him with a cruel farewell to her departure. As the song progresses he acknowledges the good things about the relationship and his surprise that it is finished. The author of the song, J. M. Cano, member of the successful Spanish trio Mecano, also wrote "Tiempo de Vals", the title song of Chayanne's following album (1990). Regarding the composition and message of the song, the singer said: "When the song is about something I have not lived, I try to do it like a movie. And I try to get into character, and suffer and feel the song, I can relate to some, but for others I like to get be inside other lives. And I try to interpret it. That's where you try to live it or feel it. And that is where my interpretation is." The song was covered in 2004 by Puerto Rican salsa orchestra N'Klabe, and included it on their album Salsa Contra Viento y Marea.
The song debuted in the Billboard Hot Latin Tracks chart at number 16 in the week of October 7, 1989, climbing to the top ten the following week. "Fuiste un Trozo de Hielo en la Escarcha" peaked at number-one on November 4, 1989, on its fifth week, holding this position for one week, replacing "Fría Como el Viento" by Luis Miguel. One week later the song reached the top spot again, being succeeded three weeks later by Los Bukis with "Cómo Fuí a Enamorarme de Tí".
A music video of the music was recorded in 1988. It was included on Chayanne's DVD Grandes Éxitos.
- "Chayanne (1988) — Chayanne". Allmusic. Macromedia Corporation. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- "Chayanne — Charts & Awards". Allmusic. Macromedia Corporation. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "Desde Siempre — Chayanne" (in Spanish). LaHiguera.net. 2005-03-28. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- "Chayanne — Biografía". EsMas.com (in Spanish). Comercio Mas, S.A. de C.V. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "N'Klabe — Salsa contra Viento y Mareas". Allmusic. Macromedia Corporation. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- "Fuiste un Trozo de Hielo en la Escarcha — Week of October 7, 1989". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 1989-10-07. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Fuiste un Trozo de Hielo en la Escarcha — Week of November 4, 1989". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 1989-11-04. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Fuiste un Trozo de Hielo en la Escarcha — Week of December 9, 1989". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 1989-12-09. Retrieved 2009-10-14.