G Adventures The Great Adventures People
|Founded||1990 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Bruce Poon Tip, Founder and CEO|
|Products||Small group Adventure Travel|
Number of employees
Bruce Poon Tip founded Gap Adventures in 1990 after returning from a backpacking tour of Asia. The company was originally named Gap Adventures - Gap being an acronym for "Great Adventure People". Gap's first tour visited Ecuador in February 1991 with six clients.
In 2008, Gap Adventures was sued by American clothing company, Gap Inc., over the name. G Adventures was required to change its name by the U.S. District court that deemed the brand was an infringement on GAP Inc. clothing. The ruling stated that the name and brand Gap Adventures caused legitimate confusion and dilution of the brand for the clothing company and their khakis. Therefore, G Adventures was required to change its name by October 1, 2011.
In 2013, G Adventures entered into a $1.3 million partnership with the Multilateral Investment Fund, a member of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB/MIF). IDB/MIF is the leading source of development funding for Latin America and the Caribbean. G Adventures will be built five new long-term, sustainable tourism projects over the next 3 years in Latin America.
In 2016 on World Tourism Day, G Adventures announced a partnership with the Jane Goodall Institute. The Jane Goodall Collection by G Adventures is a program of 20 itineraries aimed at raising the awareness of animal welfare and wildlife-friendly tourism, endorsed by primatologist Dr. Jane Goodall.
- "G Adventures Reviews and Tours". Retrieved 2015-06-29.
- "About Us - G Adventures". Retrieved 2015-06-29.
- "Gap Adventures changes name to G Adventures". Retrieved 2015-06-29.
- Kunopaski, Terrilyn. "GAP Adventure Loses in Trademark Suit from The Gap, Inc.". Travel Hot News. Retrieved Sep 28, 2011.
- Stanleigh, Sean (April 4, 2013). "Tourism Program for Latin America". Globe and Mail. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Group, Travelweek (2016-09-28). "G Adventures partners with The Jane Goodall Institute to offer new wildlife trips - Travelweek". Travelweek. Retrieved 2017-02-07.