Gates County Schools
|Gates County Schools|
|Gates County, North Carolina
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||148.00 (on FTE basis)|
|Staff||159.74 (on FTE basis)|
For the 2010–11 school year, Gates County Schools had a total population of 1,872 students and 148.00 teachers on a (FTE) basis. This produced a student-teacher ratio of 12.65:1. That same year, out of the student total, the gender ratio was 50% male to 50% female. The demographic group makeup was: White, 59%; Black, 36%; Hispanic, 1%; American Indian, 0%; and Asian/Pacific Islander, 0% (two or more races: 3%). For the same school year, 52.38% of the students received free and reduced-cost lunches.
The primary governing body of Gates County Schools follows a council–manager government format with a five-member Board of Education appointing a Superintendent to run the day-to-day operations of the system. The school system currently resides in the North Carolina State Board of Education's First District.
Board of Education
The five members of the Board of Education generally meet on the first Monday of each month. The current members of the board are: G. Douglas Lilley (Chair), Glendale P. Boone (Vice-Chair, Leslie S. Byrum, Ray Felton, and Claire R. Whitehurst.
The current superintendent of the system is Barry Williams. He took over as superintendent in January, 2012, from the interim superintendent Earl Norfleet. Williams was originally from Appalachia, Virginia, but was most recently superintendent of the Rangely School District RE-4 in Rangely, Colorado.
- Central Middle School (Gatesville)
- Buckland Elementary School (Gates)
- Gatesville Elementary School (Gatesville)
- T. S. Cooper Elementary School (Sunbury)
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Gates County Schools". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "Percentage of Students in Each Demographic Group". North Carolina’s School Report Cards. NC Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "2010–2011" (XLS). Free & Reduced Meals Application Data. NC Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "Education Districts". NC State Board of Education. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "Board Members". Gates County Schools. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- Bryant, Cal (January 18, 2012). "New Beginnings". The Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "Gates County Schools". North Carolina's School Report Cards. North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved January 29, 2013.
- "Blue Ribbon Schools 1982–2002" (PDF). US Department of Education. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 26, 2009. Retrieved January 29, 2013.