He is editor of the book Go Directly to Jail: The Criminalization of Almost Everything and author of The Cult of the Presidency: America’s Dangerous Devotion to Executive Power. The Cult of the Presidency "was praised across the ideological spectrum, including from Ezra Klein and George Will at the Washington Post, the Economist, and Glenn Greenwald at The Guardian." His research interests include executive power and the role of the presidency and federalism and over criminalization.
He has appeared on PBS’s Newshour and has been a guest on NPR’s Talk of the Nation. His writing has been published in a number of major newspapers including the Los Angeles Times, the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune, and the Legal Times. He writes a weekly column for the Washington Examiner.
- False Idol: Barack Obama and the Continuing Cult of the Presidency
- The Cult of the Presidency: America’s Dangerous Devotion to Executive Power
- Go Directly to Jail: The Criminalization of Almost Everything (editor)
- "Gene Healy| Policy Scholars". Cato Institute. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- Gene Healy, www.cato.org
- Balko, Radley (2013-03-15). Obama, Civil Liberties, And The Presidency: An Interview With Gene Healy, The Huffington Post.