||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|George J. Annas|
George Annas, 5/19/2017, at Harvard
|Alma mater||Harvard College|
|Main interests||Health law, bioethics and human rights|
|Notable works||The rights of patients|
Cofounder of Global Lawyers and Physicians
George J. Annas is the William Fairfield Warren Distinguished Professor and Director of the Center for Health Law, Ethics & Human Rights at the Boston University School of Public Health, School of Medicine, and School of Law. He holds a bachelor's degree in economics from Harvard College, a J.D. from Harvard Law School and an M.P.H. from the Harvard School of Public Health, where he was a Joseph P. Kennedy Fellow in Medical Ethics. He is a widely published national expert in the field of health law, bioethics, and human rights.
Annas is the cofounder of Global Lawyers and Physicians, a transnational professional NGO that states it is dedicated to promoting human rights and health. He teaches health law and human rights courses in the Boston University School of Public Health, the Boston University School of Law, and the Boston University School of Medicine. He is a Hastings Center fellow, a former member of the National Academy of Medicine, a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences, and a member of the National Academies' Committee on Human Rights.
- Annas, George J. (1988). Judging medicine. Clifton, New Jersey: Humana Press. ISBN 9780896031326.
- Annas, George J. (1989). The rights of patients: the basic ACLU guide to patient rights (2nd ed.). Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press. ISBN 9780809315277.
- Annas, George J.; Grodin, Michael A. (1992). The Nazi doctors and the Nuremberg Code: human rights in human experimentation. New York, New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195101065.
- Book review: Yarmolinsky, Adam (13 May 1993). "Book Review The Nazi Doctors and the Nuremberg Code: Human Rights in Human Experimentation Edited by George J. Annas and Michael A. Grodin. 371 pp. New York, Oxford University Press, 1992. $29.95. 0-19-507042-9". New England Journal of Medicine. 328 (19): 1429–1430. ISSN 0028-4793. doi:10.1056/NEJM199305133281922. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Annas, George J. (1998). Some choice: law, medicine, and the market. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195118322.
- Annas, George J.; Grodin, Michael A.; Mann, Jonathan M.; Gruskin, Sofia (1999). Health and human rights: a reader. New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415921022.
- Annas, George J. (2005). American bioethics: crossing human rights and health law boundaries. Oxford New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9781280534454.
- Annas, George J. (2010). Worst case bioethics: death, disaster, and public health. New York, New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195391732.
- Annas, George J. (Summer 1991). "Determining the fate of gestational mothers". Women's Health Issues. Elsevier. 1 (3): 158–160. doi:10.1016/S1049-3867(05)80124-0.
- Annas, George J.; Grodin, Michael A. (27 November 1996). "Legacies of Nuremberg: medical ethics and human rights". JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association. American Medical Association. 276 (20): 1682–1683. doi:10.1001/jama.1996.03540200068035.