||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Full name||George Owu|
|Date of birth||7 July 1982|
|Place of birth||Accra, Ghana|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 27 June 2006.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 28 June 2008
George Owu has signed for Egyptian Premier League side El-Masry. He moved from Ashanti Gold. He has been their number 1 since he signed from Ashanti Gold and was then widely regarded as the best Goalkeeper in the Egyption League. Had was on trial with some top European teams including most notably Tottenham Hotspur. He wanted to impress at the World Cup 2010 to earn a big money move. However, he was not included in the final squad. He returned from Egyptian club El-Masry in October 2010 to his homeland Ghana and signed for Ebusua Dwarfs. In December 2012, it was confirmed that Owu rejoined his first professional club Sekondi Hasaacas on a one-year deal.
Owu was part of the Ghanaian 2004 Olympic football team, who exited in the first round, having finished in third place in group B. He played his first game for the Ghana national football team on 19 November 2003 and was the second goal keeper in Africa cup in Egypt 2006. Owu was also the second goal keeper for Germany 2006 FIFA World Cup. He was the goal keeper for the African nations Cup 2008 hosted in Ghana.
Honors and awards
- FIFA World Youth Championship runner-up: 2001
- George Owu is the goal keeper who put up a fantastic performance during the Germany 2006 FIFA World Cup qualifiers campaign match in South Africa, with a 2-0 victory which finally qualified Ghana to the Germany 2006 FIFA World Cup.
- George Owu was part of the 26 Ghana Black Stars man squad that participated in Germany 2006 World Cup.
- George is rated a fantastic goal keeper in the Egyptian 2007-2008 League.
- BBC SPORT - Football - My Club - Ashantigold on www.news.bbc.co.uk
- SPECIAL REPORT – SCORERS AND PLAYER INFORMATION – GLO PREMIER LEAGUE IN GHANA (PART TWO)
- "George Owu signs one year deal with Sekondi Hasaacas". Edmund Okai Gyimah. Goal.com. 6 December 2012.
- Ghana, Teilnehmerland der Fussball WM 06 on www.kinderkulturkarawane.de
- 7 July- Ghanaian international keeper George Owu, soccerlastic.com
- Ghana names 23-man squad on www.ghanafa.com
- Profile & Stats on www.de.fifa.com
- Owu earns late Stars call-up on www.ghanamma.com
- Fifa 2006 World Cup Profile
- Ghana Football Association - official website
- George Owu at National-Football-Teams.com