Some possible explanations of gephyrophobia may be the fear of driving off the bridge, the fear of a gust of wind taking one off the bridge, a fear of the structural integrity of the bridge itself, or the fear that the bridge will collapse if they try to cross it. The fear overlaps with acrophobia, the fear of heights, as gephyrophobia tends to be exacerbated in tall bridges vs. ones close to the water/ground beneath.
Dr. Michael Liebowitz, founder of the Anxiety Disorders Clinic at the New York State Psychiatric Institute, says, "It's not an isolated phobia, but usually part of a larger constellation ... It's people who get panic attacks. You get light-headed, dizzy; your heart races. You become afraid that you'll feel trapped." It is a situational phobia.
The New York State Thruway Authority will lead gephyrophobiacs over the Tappan Zee Bridge. A driver can call the authority in advance and arrange for someone to drive the car over the bridge for them. The authority performs the service about six times a year.
The Mackinac Bridge Authority, which oversees the Mackinac Bridge, which connects Michigan’s Upper and Lower peninsulas, will drive one's car across its span for any needy gephyrophobiacs. Some thousand drivers take advantage of this free program each year. Leslie Ann Pluhar had her Yugo blown off that bridge. Later investigation showed the driver had stopped her car over the open steel grating on the bridge's span and that a gust of wind through the grating blew her vehicle off the bridge, although this is not supported by recorded wind speed measurements taken on and around the bridge at the time of the accident.
Gephyrophobia is the name of a map in the video game Halo: Combat Evolved; the two bases are connected only by a bridge flanked by snipers' outposts. The name most likely comes from the fact that the players are frequently killed on the bridge.
Gephyrophobia is the main plot in "The Bridge" episode of The Middle. The character Brick is plagued by the phobia.
This term is referenced in the 2012 book The Silver Bridge Disaster of 1967, an account of the December 15, 1967 collapse of the Silver Bridge connecting Point Pleasant, WV and Gallipolis OH over the Ohio River.
Gephyrophobia is referenced in "The Car" episode of the second season of This Is Us.
- Foderaro, Lisa W. (January 8, 2008). "Toginbes s, Bridges Are a Terror". New York Times. Retrieved 2008-01-08.
Mrs. Steers, 47, suffered from a little-known disorder called gephyrophobia, a fear of bridges. And she had the misfortune of living in a region with 26 major bridges, whose heights and spans could turn an afternoon car ride into a rolling trip through a haunted house.
- "Gephyrophobia: A Fear Of Crossing Bridges. Even Before The Minnesota Collapse, Many Have Severe Phobia About Bridges". CBS News. August 10, 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-08.
The monster she fears is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland. At four miles (6 km) long and 185 feet (56 m) high, Ayers says the thought of driving the bridge — with the way it rises straight in the air — raises a sense of panic in her.
- "Reasonable fear or bridge phobia?". USA Today. August 8, 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-08.
Jerilyn Ross, a psychotherapist and president of the Anxiety Disorder Association of America, notes that phobias are more than just being afraid of a certain object; they are marked by panic. Someone with gephyrophobia is afraid of panicking on a bridge, not necessarily the bridge itself, she says.
- Bragazzi1, Nicola Luigi; Del Puente, Giovanni (May 16, 2014). "A proposal for including nomophobia in the new DSM-V". Psychology Research and Behavior Management. Dove Medical Press. 7: 155–160. doi:10.2147/PRBM.S41386. PMC . PMID 24876797.
- Tom Carr, Record-Eagle Archived 2013-02-16 at Archive.is
- Zacharias, Pat (June 6, 2000). "The Breathtaking Mackinac Bridge". The Detroit News. Retrieved September 11, 2010.
- Propson, David (October 14, 2004). "How to Build a Better Bridge". New York Sun. Retrieved October 26, 2007.
- McGraw, Bill (July 8, 2007). "Mackinac Bridge Q&A". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- "Accident Report Claims Ms. Pluhar Was Speeding". The Argus-Press. Owosso, MI. Associated Press. November 8, 1989. p. 20. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- γέφυρα, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus
- φόβος, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus
- Gephyrophobia_(Level) on Halopedia: The Halo Wiki
|This abnormal psychology–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|