|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (March 2012)|
German Gorbuntsov used to own banks in Russia and Moldova, and set up nearly forty companies in security, construction, real estate and finance. In 2002, he became shareholder and director of Interus bank.
In March 2012, he was shot by a hitman, but survived. A few months later, he launched a £500,000 bounty for information that could lead to identifying the perpetrators of his attack. After his shooting, the Moldovan authorities requested his extradition, accusing German Gorbuntsov of having ordered a hit of a rival businessman, Renat Usatiy. Since the Moldovan authorities could not guarantee Gorbuntsov's safety, the British authorities refused Moldova's request to give Gorbuntsov in order to protect the banker's human rights. Gorbuntsov then declared in the press that his attempted killing was ordered by « a presidential candidate in Moldova, he could be the most powerful man in the country », namely Renato Usatîi.
German Gorbuntsov has been living under 24-hour armed guard since then. German Gorbuntsov believed he was shot because he could provide some evidence in the attempted murder of Russian billionaire Alexander Antonov, and was later requested by Scotland Yard to provide his input on the assassination of Boris Nemtsov In July 2015, he agrees to testify in this murder case.
- Personal dossier on German Gorbuntsov, Kommersant, 23 March 2012
- Will Stewart and Rebecca Camber, Exiled Russian banker left in coma after submachine gun 'assassination bid' near Canary Wharf had testified in murder case, The Daily Mail, 24 March 2012
- Shot former Russian banker German Gorbuntsov 'critical', BBC, 23 March 2012
- Sam Marsden, Ex-Russian banker German Gorbuntsov hurt in shooting, The Independent, 23 March 2012
- German Gorbuntsov: Former Russian Banker In Critical Condition After Canary Wharf Shooting, The Huffington Post, 23/03/2012
- Sandra Laville, Russian banker in coma after London shooting, The Guardian, 23 March 2012
- "German Gorbuntsov: who is the wanted Russian banker shot in London?". Anorak.co.uk. 19 April 2012.
- Walker, Shaun (8 June 2012). "Exclusive interview: German Gorbuntsov - the banker shot six times in London". The Independent. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Shot banker offers £500,000 reward to find assassins". Express.co.uk. 10 August 2012.
- Damien Gayle (6 August 2014). "Russian tycoon who survived gangland shooting outside his London flat will not be extradited over alleged plot to assassinate business rival over fears he could be tortured". Dailymail.co.uk.
- Marc Champion (24 November 2014). "Russia's Project Moldova". Bloombergview.com.
- Suz Elvey (26 July 2015). "Banker shot SIX times in London assassination attempt could help solve Russian murder". Express.co.uk.
- "Banker German Gorbuntsov agrees to testify in case of Boris Nemtsov's murder". Kavkaz-uzel.ru. 27 July 2015.
- Sandra Laville (29 March 2012). "German Gorbuntsov's wife issues appeal over Russian banker's shooting". Theguardian.com.
- Will Stewart (31 March 2012). "Under armed guard, beautiful blonde who saw oligarch lover gunned down on London street". Dailymail.co.uk.