Give It Up or Turnit a Loose
|"Give It Up or Turnit a Loose"|
|Single by James Brown|
|from the album Ain't It Funky|
|B-side||"I'll Lose My Mind"|
|Recorded||October 29, 1968, Criteria Studios, Miami, FL|
2:456:24 (complete version)
|James Brown charting singles chronology|
"Give It Up or Turnit a Loose" is a funk song recorded by James Brown. Released as a single in 1969, it was a #1 R&B hit and also made the top 20 pop singles chart. It appeared as an instrumental on the Ain't It Funky album, removing Brown's vocals and adding guitar overdubs.
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||15|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Black Singles||1|
- James Brown - lead vocal
with the James Brown Orchestra:
- Waymond Reed - trumpet
- Richard "Kush" Griffith - trumpet
- Fred Wesley - trombone
- Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis - alto saxophone
- Maceo Parker - tenor saxophone
- St. Clair Pinckney - baritone saxophone
- Jimmy Nolen - guitar
- Alphonso "Country" Kellum - guitar
- Charles Sherrell - bass
- Nate Jones - drums
- Chuck Kirkpatrick - recording engineer
Brown recorded "Give It Up or Turnit a Loose" again with The J.B.'s for his 1970 double album Sex Machine. Over five minutes long, this later recording used a substantially different instrumental arrangement, with an added organ riff and a florid bassline, as well as different lyrics. A remix of this recording by Tim Rodgers appears on the 1986 compilation album In the Jungle Groove. The remixed version has been extensively sampled. A genuine live version of the song appears on the album Live at Chastain Park.
In 1974 Lyn Collins recorded the song, with Brown producing.
"Everyday People" by Sly & The Family Stone
|Billboard Hot R&B Singles number-one single
March 8, 1969 – March 15, 1969 (two weeks)
"Runaway Child, Running Wild" by The Temptations
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 84.
- White, Cliff (1991). "Discography". In Star Time (pp. 54–59) [CD booklet]. New York: PolyGram Records.
- Leeds, Alan, and Harry Weinger (1991). "Star Time: Song by Song". In Star Time (pp. 46–53) [CD booklet]. New York: PolyGram Records.
- Song Review at Allmusic
- List of songs that sample "Give It Up or Turnit a Loose"
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
|This 1960s R&B/soul music song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|