Give a Little
|"Give a Little"|
|Single by Hanson|
|from the album Shout It Out|
|Released||April 5, 2011|
|Genre||Pop rock, dance-pop|
|Length||3:53 (Album Version)|
|Writer(s)||Isaac Hanson, Taylor Hanson and Zac Hanson|
|Hanson singles chronology|
"Give a Little" is the second single written and performed by American pop/rock band Hanson from their fifth studio album Shout It Out. Lead vocals are provided by Taylor Hanson, with Isaac Hanson and Zac Hanson as backing vocals.
The single was announced by the band on January 13, 2011 on the Hanson.NET members e-mail. It was released on April 05, 2011 on iTunes as a digital single including remixes produced by the band. A 4-track US promo CD single surfaced on eBay mid. February and was sold for about $79.
The upbeat pop/rock number is the second single from American band Hanson's eighth studio album, Shout It Out. The song acts as the follow-up to Thinking 'Bout Somethin'. "'Give a Little' is the perfect connector to the first single," Taylor Hanson told MTV News. "There's this energy to it. Strangely, there's this dance theme. We're not known for our dancing, but dancing is this metaphor that's in the record." "[The metaphor] is kind of 'Get out there and let loose,' " Taylor added. "Spring will be here before we know it, and the song is upbeat and hopefully engaging."
- "Give A Little" (radio mix) (3:35)
- "Give A Little" (RAC mix) (3:41)
- "Give A Little" (Questlove mix) (4:16)
- "Give A Little" (album mix) (3:53)
UK Digital Release Track listing
- "Give A Little" (radio mix – 3:35
- "Give A Little" (RAC mix) – 3:41
- "Give A Little" (Questlove mix) – 4:16
- "Give A Little" (album mix) – 3:53
- "Give A Little" (Mind the Gap mix By Steven Charles Boone) – 3:53
- "Give A Little" (Lose Control mix By Craig McClellan) – 3:37
The band promoted the song on the twelfth season of Dancing with the Stars, performing first their hit MMMBop on April 25, 2011 and later "Give a Little", on April 26, 2011. The band also performed it on Jimmy Kimmel Live!.
The music video was shot on the same weekend as "Thinking 'Bout Somethin'" and was released on VH1.com on February 22, 2011. It features dancers from the "Thinking 'Bout Somethin'" video, now having a dance-off on a white studio. The band also recreates some elements from the Shout It Out album cover using the same colors and imagery. Family members as daughters and sons, brothers, sisters and wives are also pictured dancing on the video as well.
Taylor Hanson said the guys have a new mission with this video. "With the 'Give A Little' video, we're more thinking, 'Hey this is about creating a template, a backdrop that just makes you love the song more,' " he explained to MTV News. "The difference with this song and the video is that it's much simpler and much more about getting the song ingrained in your mind, thus was a very different thing." "When we made the video, it was kind of the release after the high production of 'Thinking 'Bout Somethin', " Taylor explained. "With the 'Give a Little' video, it's almost back to the blank slate. We invited all these dancers. We just set up a room, cranked up the music and threw a party and let people dance. The attitude is not about everyone doing the same moves; it's about putting a unique twist." "There's this energy to it," Taylor said. "Strangely, there's this dance theme. We're not known for our dancing, but dancing is this metaphor that's in the record. Kind of, 'Get out there and let loose.'
Nicole James from MTV Buzzworthy has said, positively, that: ""Give A Little" features the brothers Hanson playing their instruments in front of a simple white backdrop. The song starts off slow as they sing about wooing ladies (something that Hanson knows just a little bit about), while the video cuts to different couples getting their dance on. The momentum builds, and pretty soon there's paint being splattered everywhere, and everyone on the set is getting down. Like I said, adorable.And we're totally digging the low-budget video thing. "Give A Little" is a snappy pop song with a to-the-point video that focuses on the catchiness of the track. No bells and whistles, just singing, dancing and Taylor Hanson wearing Ray-Bans. What else do you need in life? NOTHING...in my opinion". Jocelyn Vega also from MTV was also very positive with the video, saying: " The sparse performance video for the Shout It Out track seamlessly includes dancers of all backgrounds showing off their skills. It's a far cry from last year's over-the-top clip for "Thinking 'Bout Somethin'," an homage to the Blues Brothers. She said, that: "The video is, in fact, pretty simple: It features cardboard cutouts, ballerinas, dancing couples, some paint splatter and even hip-hop dancers. The guys get in the action during a big dance break, playing instruments while surrounded by the clip's various performers". "Spring will be here before we know it, and the song is upbeat and hopefully engaging", concluded Vega.
|United States||April 5, 2011||digital download|
|United States||April 12, 2011||Hot Modern/ Adult Contemporary Radio|
- Hanson.com (24 February 2011). "Hanson Info News about Give a Little". Hanson.com. Hanson.com. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- Hanson.com (24 February 2011). "Hanson Info & News". Hanson.com. Hanson.com. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- Hanson Team (April 25, 2011). "Backstage At Dancing With The Stars". Hanson.com. Archived from the original on April 29, 2011. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- judeepolds (28 April 2011). "Trust (2010)". IMDb.
- "Give a Littleby Hanson - Songfacts". Songfacts. Songfacts. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- Absolute Punk (24 February 2011). "Hanson - Shout it Out". Absolute Punk. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- "Give a Little - Deluxe Single by Hanson - Download at iTunes". iTunes. April 5, 2011. Retrieved April 7, 2011.
- ""Give A Little" by Hanson - Music Video - VH1.com". vh1.com. Archived from the original on 2011-02-24.
- Jocelyn Vega (February 22, 2011). "Hanson Say 'Give A Little' Video 'Makes You Love The Song More'". MTV. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- Nicole James (24 August 2011). "New Video: Hanson, 'Give A Little'". MTV Buzzworthy. MTV. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- Jocelyn Vega (February 22, 2011). "MTV: Hanson Say 'Give A Little' Video 'Makes You Love The Song More'". MTV. Archived from the original on July 23, 2011. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- "Hot Modern/Adult Contemporary - Cool New Music". All Access. Retrieved 2011-04-27.