Gongju National University of Education
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Type||Elementary teacher training|
|Location||Gongju, South Chungcheongnam, South Korea
|Gongju National University of Education|
|Revised Romanization||Gongju Gyo-yuk Daehakgyo|
|McCune–Reischauer||Kongju Kyoyuk Taehakkyo|
Gongju National University of Education (GNUE) is a national university located in Gongju, South Korea. The university is for individuals who want to teach at elementary schools in Daejeon city and South Chungcheongnam province. The university was founded April 1938 under the name Gongju Women Instructor's school. In 1962, The University began specializing in elementary school teacher training that offered two years’ program and was renamed to Gongju University of Education. As of 1982, the system changed to four years’ course from two years’ course. In 1993, the university modified the name to Gongju National University of Education. Since the established year, 1938, over 25,000 graduates became elementary teachers.
In 1980, Gongju National University Education establishes a sisterhood relationship with Lansing College in the United States. The university expands the international relationships starting their initial point. In 1990, University of Alberta also makes a sisterhood relationship with GNUE. In 2003, New Zealand’s’ Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology and GNUE agreed on Arts and Science program exchange. In 2006, Hunan Normal University from China agreed on Arts and Science program exchange with GNUE. In 2007, School in Kobe University (Japan), University of Oregon (U.S.A) and University of Philippines (Philippines) all agreed to have Arts and Science exchange program with GNUE.
Undergraduate Programs 
Gongju National University Education consists of 12 undergraduate programs.
1) Department of Ethics Education - Through lessons Ethics and theories, students develop their honest and learn to follow moral codes that will be used as an elementary teacher. Students are expected to expand their creative thinking and sense of logic.
2) Department of Korean Language Education - Students learn about teaching skills and learning strategies of Korean language. The program focuses not only on four basic skills (speaking, listen, reading and writing), but expands the curriculum further to linguistics and literature parts of Korean language education.
3) Department of Social Studies Education - Students expand their knowledge and teaching methods on geography, history and general social studies. The program offers field trips to establish better understanding of Korea.
4) Department of Mathematics Education - The program focuses on developing knowledge of pure mathematics (algebra, geometry, analysis, statistics, etc.) as well as mathematics education, which includes subjects such as psychology of mathematics education and history of mathematics education.
5) Department of Science Education - The contents are taught on a wide range of physics, chemistry, biology and earth science. The program values hands-on experience and the relation with the latest scientific theory.
6) Department of Practical Arts Education - The program aims to teach the understanding of work/environment and strengthening students’ life skills and ultimately, the meaning of work through art. The students of this program are exposed to learn about the relationships between family and surrounding environments
7) Department of Physical Education - The program aims to helps students to become ideal teachers through having solid basic theories of physical education, nature physical science and also through practical skills.
8) Department of Music Education - The program focuses on two parts. First part is basic skills such as singing, Korean traditional music and composing. Second part is musical theory knowledge and teaching methods.
9) Department of Fine Art Education - Teaching methods and materials in elementary fine arts education are introduced. Understanding the art theory and developing art abilities will guide students to be ideal teachers.
10) English Language Education - The program views developing communication skills and various teaching methods as the most important aspects. It also focuses on the theoretical background to help understanding in English culture.
11) Department of Elementary Education - It focuses on problems that are arising in elementary education. The program helps in solving problems through theories and practices to establish close relationships with classroom.
12) Department of Computer Education - Through various courses such as Computer Education, Research Methods in Computer Education, Computer Programming, and Data Structure etc. students will be able to develop the understanding of computer education theories and computer skills.