|Predecessor||Foreign & Colonial Ventures Ltd.|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Products||Investments, private equity funds|
|Total assets||£800 million|
Graphite Capital is a private equity firm focused on mid-market leveraged buyout investments, primarily in the UK. The group manages around £800 million for institutional investors, with the most recent fund raising just over £500 million. Since 1991, the firm has backed almost 100 management teams through various investments.
Until February 2016, the firm managed a listed investment trust, Graphite Enterprise Trust, a diversified private equity fund of funds platform. The management contract was transferred to Intermediate Capital Group.
The firm has managed private equity funds since 1981 and in 2001 became fully independent. The firm has a single office at Berkeley Square House in Berkeley Square in London's West End. The firm's Managing Partner is Rod Richards, who joined in 1986.
Foreign & Colonial Enterprise Trust, a UK listed vehicle, was the first fund to be managed by Graphite Capital. It was established in 1981 with a £10 million initial public offering on the London Stock Exchange. The firm has raised and managed eight listed and unlisted funds to date.
Graphite was originally part of F&C Asset Management and was known as Foreign & Colonial Ventures Ltd. The firm remained a subsidiary of F&C Asset Management until 2001, when the Graphite team completed a management buyout.
The firm is currently investing its eighth fund, which has backed the following companies:
- City & County Healthcare - a provider of home care services in the UK
- ICR Group - a provider of repair and maintenance services to the energy sector
- nGAGE Specialist Recruitment (formerly Human Capital Investment Group) - a recruitment business serving a range of niche areas within the public and private sectors
- Aero Technics Group - a civil aircraft maintenance business focusing on cabin services
- New World Trading Company - a pub restaurant group
- Beck & Pollitzer - an industrial machinery installation and relocation specialist
Graphite's seventh fund, which was raised in 2007 and invested until 2013, backed companies including:
- Kurt Geiger - the luxury shoe retailer and wholesaler
- Education Personnel - a provider of supply teachers and teaching assistants to state schools in the UK
- Alexander Mann Solutions - a provider of recruitment process outsourcing
- National Fostering Agency - an independent children's fostering agency
- London Square - a house builder focused on prime sites within the M25
- Willowbrook Healthcare - a developer and operator or premium elderly care homes
Graphite's current portfolio also includes:
- U-POL - a manufacturer and distributor of automotive refinishing products
- Micheldever Tyre Services - a tyre wholesaler and retailer
- Corbin & King (formerly Rex Restaurants) - the operator of signature restaurants in London
- F&C Ventures bought out by management. Money Marketing, April 26, 2001
- Management to buy F&C Ventures. The Telegraph, Apr 22, 2001
- F&C Ventures becomes Graphite Capital. Investments & Pensions Europe, Apr 24, 2001
- Cotterill, Joseph (18 June 2015). "Groucho Club sold by private equity firm". Financial Times. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- FN Profile: Graphite Capital goes organic with strategy for Wagamama. Financial News, Sep 13, 2004
- Graphite's considered approach. Growth Business UK, February 6, 2007
- Graphite Capital (company website)