Greatest Hits (Bob Seger album)
|Greatest hits album by Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band|
|Released||October 25, 1994|
|Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band chronology|
Greatest Hits is a compilation album by Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band, released in 1994. Certified 9 times platinum, it is Seger's most successful album to date. In December 2009, Billboard and Nielsen SoundScan confirmed that with nearly nine million copies sold, Bob Seger's Greatest Hits was the decade's best-selling catalog album in the United States, even out-selling The Beatles' 1 and Michael Jackson's Number Ones. By September 2011, the album had sold a total of 9,062,000 copies in the United States.
Californian photographer Karen Miller took photos of the band as part of two photoshoots for the album. The most popular pictures out of the first photoshoot were the railroad track scenes taken on the Southern Pacific railroad tracks north of Mojave, California. The single picture of Seger holding his guitar became the cover photo as well as the most recognized photograph of Seger to date. Another photograph of the entire band on the same tracks was used for the centerfold of the booklet that came with the It's a Mystery CD, released the following year.
Other photos on the album include pictures of Seger's newborn son, Cole. The back cover of Seger's son at a water pump was taken at Seger's home at the time in Miami, Florida. Cole was 17 months old at the time. The inside of the booklet includes photos of Silver Bullet Band members Craig Frost, Chris Campbell, and Alto Reed with their kids as well. Seger's manager, Punch Andrews, was skeptical about the idea of using the band's children as album art at first. However, Seger had seen it done before with other artists and insisted on the photographs being used on the final copy of the CD's insert.
All tracks written by Bob Seger, except where noted.
|1.||"Roll Me Away"||The Distance||4:36|
|2.||"Night Moves"||Night Moves||5:25|
|3.||"Turn the Page"||Live Bullet||5:01|
|4.||"You'll Accomp'ny Me"||Against the Wind||3:59|
|5.||"Hollywood Nights"||Stranger in Town||4:59|
|6.||"Still the Same"||Stranger in Town||3:19|
|7.||"Old Time Rock and Roll" (George Jackson, Thomas Earl Jones III)||Stranger in Town||3:12|
|8.||"We've Got Tonight"||Stranger in Town||4:38|
|9.||"Against the Wind"||Against the Wind||5:32|
|11.||"The Fire Inside"||The Fire Inside||5:53|
|12.||"Like a Rock"||Like a Rock||5:53|
|13.||"C'est la Vie"" (Chuck Berry)||previously unreleased||2:58|
|14.||"In Your Time"||previously unreleased||3:05|
As listed in liner notes.
|Canadian Albums (RPM)||5|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||49|
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||4|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||46|
|US Billboard 200||8|
|Australian Albums (ARIA)||5|
|UK Albums (OCC)||6|
|US Top Catalog Albums (Billboard)||1|
|Canada (Music Canada)||3× Platinum||300,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||9× Platinum||9,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band: Greatest Hits > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved July 4, 2011 .
- "Seger CD one of the decade's best sellers". United Press International. December 16, 2009. Retrieved December 22, 2009.
- Hammerstein, B.J. (December 17, 2009). "Eminem, Seger top Billboard". Detroit Free Press. Archived from the original on December 20, 2009. Retrieved December 22, 2009.
- "Item Display – RPM – Library and Archives Canada". Library and Archives Canada. March 31, 2004. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Officialcharts.de – Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band – Greatest Hits". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Charts.org.nz – Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band – Greatest Hits". Hung Medien. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Swisscharts.com – Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band – Greatest Hits". Hung Medien. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Bob Seger – Awards: AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Australiancharts.com – Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band – Greatest Hits". Hung Medien. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Bob Seger – Chart history" Billboard Top Catalog Albums for Bob Seger. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Canadian album certifications – Bob Seger – Greatest Hits". Music Canada.
- "British album certifications – Bob Seger & Silver Bullet – Greatest Hits". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Greatest Hits in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Seger, Bob and The Silver Bullet Band – Greatest Hits". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH