Shakedown (Bob Seger song)
|Single by Bob Seger|
|from the album Beverly Hills Cop II|
|Released||May 23, 1987|
|Genre||Pop rock, dance-rock|
|Bob Seger singles chronology|
"Shakedown" is a song recorded by Bob Seger, from the soundtrack of the film Beverly Hills Cop II. The music was written by Harold Faltermeyer, who also wrote the score for the film, and Keith Forsey, with lyrics by Seger. The song became a number-one hit on the Billboard Hot 100, Seger's only such top mark singles-wise, as well as the Album Rock Tracks chart, where it became his second number-one hit, spending four weeks at the top. In Canada, it went to number one as well, topping the RPM 100 national singles chart on August 1 of the same year.
In 1988, "Shakedown" was nominated for both the Academy Award for Best Original Song and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song, but it lost both awards to Dirty Dancing's "(I've Had) The Time of My Life". At the 60th Academy Awards, "Shakedown" was performed by Little Richard.
Initially, Seger's friend and fellow Detroiter, Glenn Frey, was the first choice to record "Shakedown", after having a hit with "The Heat Is On" from Beverly Hills Cop. Frey did not like the lyrics and then came down with laryngitis, so the song was given to Seger. After the song went to number one, Frey called to congratulate Seger, saying "At least we kept the money in Michigan!"
The music video featured scenes from the film intercut with Seger and the band performing it.
|Australian Kent Music Report||9|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||1|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||33|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||88|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|West Germany (Official German Charts)||60|
|Year-end chart (1987)||Position|
|US Top Pop Singles (Billboard)||9|
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Pop Songs: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 218.
- "Little Richard Sings " Shakedown" / Oscars 1988". YouTube. Retrieved January 23, 2016.
- Bronson, Fred (2003). "672 Shakedown - Bob Seger". The Billboard Book of Number One Hits. Billboard Books. p. 681.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 0841." RPM. Library and Archives Canada.
- "Charts.nz – Bob Seger – Shakedown". Top 40 Singles.
- "Bob Seger: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Bob Seger Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard.
- "Bob Seger Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Bob Seger – Shakedown". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "1987 The Year in Music & Video: Top Pop Singles". Billboard. 99 (52). December 26, 1987.