Green Meadow Waldorf School
|Green Meadow Waldorf School|
|Chestnut Ridge, NY
|Type||Private, Waldorf school|
Eric SilberBill Pernice
|Student to teacher ratio||7:1|
|Campus||Suburban, 11 acres|
Green Meadow Waldorf School (GMWS) is an independent Waldorf school located in Chestnut Ridge, Rockland County, New York. It offers parent and child classes, and nursery/kindergarten through 12th grades. The school is accredited by both the New York State Association of Independent Schools and the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America. Founded in 1950, it is one of the oldest and largest of the approximately 170 independent North American Waldorf schools (there are about 1,000 such schools worldwide).
The school practices an interdisciplinary approach based on the Waldorf curriculum, including a strong emphasis on art, music and intercultural understanding; students begin studying two foreign languages (Spanish and German) beginning in first grade. It also provides a strong community service program. Graduates of the school have been noted for their independence, sensitivity and creativity.
Publications and events
The school's publications include:
- A monthly bulletin
- A student literary magazine, The Burning Bush
- An alumni quarterly
- A yearbook created by students and staff
The school's annual public events include the following:
- Fall Fair
- Goods and Services Auction and Dinner
Green Meadow is part of the larger Threefold Educational Foundation anthroposophical community in Chestnut Ridge, which includes:
- The Threefold Foundation, which acts as trustee of the land and provides affordable housing for community members.
- Sunbridge Institute, a Waldorf teacher training institution.
- The Fellowship Community, an inter-generational, anthroposophically based community where people of all ages live with, assist, and care for the elderly. Here, Green Meadow pupils receive hands-on experiences of farming and gardening.
- The Pfeiffer Center, a training center for biodynamic agriculture.
- Eurythmy Spring Valley, a eurythmy school.
- The Hungry Hollow Food Co-op, a natural food store specializing in organic foods.
- "At the beautiful Green Meadow Waldorf School, children learn in a unique way", Rivertown Magazine November 2007
- "Waldorf Schools: The 'whole child' approach," Private Schools, March 2007, pp. 24f
- "Nature and nurture come together at Green Meadow Waldorf School," Rivertown Magazine, November 2006, p. 51
- "Graduates remembered for closeness," The Journal News, June 18, 2007, p. 6A
- Third-graders make prayer flags for Bhutanese school, Rockland Journal News, June 13, 2007
- Learning English as a second language at Chestnut Ridge school, Rockland Journal News, April 13, 2007
- "Immigrants Share Some Personal Accounts with Green Meadow Students", Rockland County Times, June 1–7, 2006. pp. 1–2.
- Green Meadow Waldorf School
- Sunbridge College
- Fellowship Community
- School of Eurythmy
- Association of Waldorf Schools of North America
- Why Waldorf Works