He joined The Australian in 1984 and worked in Beijing, Washington, and Canberra before starting his tenure as foreign editor in 1992. Writing on and from the Asian region since the 1980s, Sheridan specializes on Asian politics, and has written four books on the topic, plus a book on Australia-U.S. relationships.
He is a Distinguished Fellow of the Australia India Institute at the University of Melbourne.
Sheridan has been a staunch supporter of closer ties between Australia and its Southeast Asian neighbors, particularly Singapore and Indonesia. In his book Hidden Agendas, journalist and Sheridan critic John Pilger accuses him of being a "reliable ally" of the Suharto dictatorship while serving as the foreign editor of The Australian. In particular, Pilger derided Sheridan's defense of Indonesia following the Clinton administration's critique of Suharto's human rights records, as well as the Australian Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee following its confirmation of the Santa Cruz Massacre. Sheridan stated that "even genuine victims frequently concoct stories".
Sheridan has been a supporter of the Australian government's anti-terror legislation and argues the deportation from Australia of American environmental activist Scott Parkin was well founded. He has also argued in support of the notion that George W. Bush will be judged one of the great presidents of the United States.
In reference to the 2011 Egyptian protests, Sheridan wrote that "What is happening in Egypt and across Arab North Africa more generally represents a distinct new phase in the existential crisis of Arab civilisation."
- Sheridan, G.(2015). When We Were Young & Foolish. Sydney: Allen & Unwin. ISBN 9781760113391.
- Pilger, John (1998). Hidden Agendas. Vintage. ISBN 9780099741510. Retrieved 2015-01-30.
- Sheridan, G., and Kerin, J. (2005). 'Deported activist was to teach tactics of violence.' The Australian, 22 September.
- Sheridan, Greg (2006-09-14). "A great president for these terrible times". The Australian. Retrieved 2015-01-30.
- Sheridan, Greg (2011-03-03). "Arab awakening or dawn of dark age". The Australian. Retrieved 2015-01-30.
- Sheridan, Greg (1999). Asian values, Western dreams: Understanding the new asia. Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- (editor and co-author) Living with Dragons: Australia Confronts Its Asian Destiny (Allen & Unwin, 1995; ISBN 1-86373-880-0)
- Tigers: Leaders of the New Asia-Pacific (Allen & Unwin, 1997; ISBN 1-86448-153-6)
- Asian Values, Western Dreams: Understanding the New Asia (Allen & Unwin, 1999; ISBN 1-86448-496-9)
- Cities of the Hot Zone: A Southeast Asian Adventure (Allen & Unwin, 2003; ISBN 1-74114-224-5)
- The Partnership: The Inside Story of the US-Australian Alliance Under Howard and Bush (UNSW Press, 2006; ISBN 0-86840-922-7)
- Sheridan, Greg (2015). When We Were Young & Foolish. Sydney: Allen & Unwin. ISBN 9781760113391.
- About Greg Sheridan on The Australian website
- Archive of Sheridan's articles from 29 August 2006 onwards, with reader comments
- Sheridan interviews United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, 15 March 2006