HMS Valorous (1851)
HMS Valorous, a sketch by W L Wyllie
|Ordered:||25 April 1847|
|Builder:||Pembroke Dockyard/Miller & Ravenhill|
|Laid down:||March 1849|
|Launched:||30 April 1851|
|Completed:||7 July 1853|
|Fate:||Sold for breaking up 27 February 1891|
|Class and type:||Magicienne class second class paddle frigate|
|Tons burthen:||1,255 bm|
|Length:||210 ft (64 m)|
|Beam:||36 ft (11 m)|
|Draught:||24 ft 6 in (7.47 m)|
|Propulsion:||2-cylinder oscillating engines
400 nhp, 1,300 ihp
|Armament:||16 (later 14) guns:
10 (later 8) x 32pdr guns (Middle deck)
1 x 68 pounder gun (Upper deck)
1 x 10 in gun (Upper deck)
4 x 32pdr guns (Upper deck)
|Notes:||Displaced 2,300 tons|
Design and Construction
She was part of the two-ship class of Magicienne-class second class paddle frigates. She was built at a cost of £69,064, of which her machinery cost £24,329. She was originally ordered in 25 April 1847 as a First Class sloop to John Edye's design, approved on 12 August 1847. On 5 August 1847 they were re-ordered as 210 ft (64 m) vessels. When finished, they constituted the last group of paddle warships built for the Royal Navy.
In 1852 she was in the Mediterranean, then in 1854 she was assigned to the Baltic Sea and in 1855 she operated in the Black Sea during the Crimean War. In 1857 she was on the North America and West Indies Station, and from 1863 until she was paid off in September 1867 she operated off the Cape of Good Hope. Carrying extra stores, she accompanied the British Arctic Expedition ships Alert and Discovery as far as Godhavn in 1875. In 1878 she was commanded by Captain John A Fisher (later Admiral of the Fleet).
- Winfield, Rif & Lyon, David (2004). The Sail and Steam Navy List: All the Ships of the Royal Navy 1815–1889. London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-032-6. OCLC 52620555.
- Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia, by William James Mills, ABC-CLIO, 2003, ISBN 978-1-57607-422-0
- Mackay pp138-139
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Lyon, David and Winfield, Rif, The Sail and Steam Navy List, All the Ships of the Royal Navy 1815–1889, pub Chatham, 2004, ISBN 1-86176-032-9
- History of HMS Valorous
- Mackay, Ruddock F. Fisher of Kilverstone. London (1973): Oxford University Press.