|Closed||April 11, 2017 (Planned)|
|Owned by||Woodbine Entertainment Group|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Formerly called||The Racing Network Canada (2001-2005)|
|Bell TV||Channel(s) 477-481|
|Cogeco Cable||Channels 157 & 158|
|EastLink||Channels 420-424 (Ontario only)|
|Ezlink||Channels 409 & 410|
|Rogers Cable||Channels 420-424|
|Source Cable||Channels 195 & 196|
|Seaside Communications||Channels 107 & 108|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channels 475-479|
HPItv (Horseplayer Interactive Television) is a Canadian English language Category B specialty network owned by Woodbine Entertainment Group. HPItv broadcasts thoroughbred, standardbred, and harness racing events and related programming.
Channels and content
HPItv consists of five multiplex channels:
- HPItv is the network's flagship feed. It features thoroughbred and harness racing from up to six tracks at a time across North America, Also featuring Great Britain & Ireland in the morning and Australia, Japan & Hong Kong in the evening.
- HPItv Odds displays live Canadian pools and current odds for all tracks carried on HPItv.
- HPItv Canada provides daily live coverage of primarily Canadian racetracks.
- HPItv International provides daily live coverage from primarily U.S. racetracks. International also features Great Britain & Ireland in the mornings and Australia & Hong Kong in the evening and some overnight.
- HPItv West provides daily live coverage from primarily Western racetracks in Canada and the United States.
In November 2000, a joint venture between The Ontario Jockey Club (90%) and BCE Media (10%) called the Ontario Jockey Club (Partnership), was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a television channel called The Racing Network Canada, described as "a national English-language Category 2 specialty television service dedicated to Canadian and international horse racing and horse racing related programming, including live races, related commentary, odds, replays, and results."
Prior to the channel's launch, in September 2001, the Ontario Jockey Club changed its name to Woodbine Entertainment Group and purchased BCE Media's shares in the service.
Later that same month, the channel was launched as The Racing Network Canada (TRN) with four multiplex channels— three devoted to live matches (Live Horse Racing Channel, Full Card Favourites - 1, and Full Card Favourites - 2) and one displaying pool odds, probables and results (Live Canadian Odds Channel). In 2004, TRN launched a fifth channel, TRN West.
In March 2005, TRN was rebranded HPItv to align it with Woodbine's online and telephone wagering service, HorsePlayer Interactive (HPI).
On January 11, 2017, Woodbine Entertainment Group announced that it will shutter the service on April 11, 2017 due to diminishing subscribers and rising production costs. The main channel will continue to operate with a lighter track load until the scheduled closing date, and on minimal staff. Despite the closure of the channel, the HPItv Canada, HPItv International, and HPItv West feeds, which operate under a pay-per-view licence agreement, will continue to be offered to television service providers.
|2001 - 2005||2005 - 2008||2008 - 2015||2015 - Present|
- Decision CRTC 2001-565 CRTC 2001-09-04
- Decision CRTC 2000-713 2000-12-14
- HPItv multi-track and odds channels to go off air; Pay-Per-View to stay available Woodbine Entertainment Group press release 01-11-17
|This article about television in Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|