Habib (Arabic: حبيب, romanized: ḥabīb; Arabic pronunciation: [ħabiːb ]), sometimes written as Habeeb, is an Arabic masculine given name, occasional surname, and honorific, with the meaning "beloved" or "my love", or "darling". It also forms the famous Arabic word ‘Habibi’ which is used to refer to a friend or a significant other in the aspect of love or admiration.
The name is popular throughout the Muslim World, though particularly in the Middle East and Africa. In other countries, especially in Yemen and Southeast Asian countries such as Brunei, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia, it is an honorific to address a Muslim scholar of Sayyid (a descendant of Muhammad) families and where it is one of the names of the Islamic prophet Muhammad – حبيب الله Habib Allah (Habibullah/ Habiballah) - "Most Beloved of Allah (God)".
The name, as is the case with other Arabic names, is not only confined to Muslims. Notable examples of Christian individuals named Habib include Habib the Deacon, Gabriel Habib and the Philosopher Habib.
Habiba is the female equivalent.
The name stem from the Arabic verb ḥabba (حَبَّ), meaning to "love", "admire, be fond of"
Another variant which is used as a given name and adjective of the stem from that verb is "maḥbūb" (مَحْبُوب) meaning "well-beloved", commonly written as Mahbub, the female equivalent Mahbuba (Arabic: maḥbūbah مَحْبُوبَة).
- Aftab Habib, English cricket player
- Anwara Habib, d.2018, Bangladeshi politician
- Arif Habib, Pakistani businessman
- Brian Habib, American football player
- Cyrus Habib, American Jesuit, politician
- Dina Powell nee Habib, Egyptian-born American government official
- Irfan Habib, Indian historian
- Jawed Habib, Indian hairstylist and businessman
- Mamdouh Habib, Australian-Egyptian once held at Guantanamo Bay
- Meyer Habib, French politician
- Philip Habib, d.1992, American diplomat
- Rafik Habib, Egyptian researcher, activist, author, and politician.
- Ralph Habib, d.1969, French film director of Lebanese and Egyptian origin
- Huzama Habayeb, Palestinian novelist, columnist and translator
- Habib (singer) (1947–2016), full name Habib Mohebian, Iranian pop singer-songwriter
- Habib Ben Ali (1941–1996), Tunisian criminal and brother of Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali
- Habib Beye (born 1977), French-Senegalese footballer
- Habib Borjian, linguist
- Habib Bourguiba (1903–2000), Tunisian politician
- Habib Bourguiba Jr. (1927–2009), Tunisian diplomat
- Habib Dehghani (born 1983), Iranian footballer
- Habib Diallo (born 1995), Senegalese professional footballer
- Habib Esfahani (1835-1983), Iranian poet, grammarian and translator
- Habib Girgis (1876–1951) Egyptian Dean and Coptic Saint
- Habib Habibou (born 1987), French footballer
- Habib ibn Maslama al-Fihri, 7th-century Arab general
- Habib Jemli, Tunisian politician
- Habib Kashani (born 1955), Iranian businessman
- Habib Koité (born 1958), Malian musician
- Habib Samaei (1905–1946) Iranian musician
- Habib The Deacon, Syriac Christian Martyr
- Habib Wahid (born 1976), Bangladeshi composer and musician
- Habib Zargarpour (born 1964), Iranian art director
- Khabib Allakhverdiev (born 1982), Russian boxer
- Khabib Ilyaletdinov (born 1965), Russian footballer
- Khabib Nurmagomedov "Habib Nur Muhammed" (born 1988), Russian Mixed Martial artist
- Khabib Sharipov, Russian pop singer, known by the mononym Khabib (ХАБИБ)
- Khabib Syukron (born 1988), Indonesian footballer
Other spellings containing the term
- Habib Ali al-Jifri (born 1971), Islamic scholar
- Habib Alwi bin Thahir al-Haddad, mufti of Johor Bahru
- Habib Abdullah ibn Alawi al-Haddad, a Muslim patron saint
- Habib Abu Bakr al-Aydarus, a Muslim patron saint
- Habib Ali bin Abdurrahman Alhabshi, a cleric and preacher
- Habib Muhammad bin Ali bin Yahya, Mufti of Kutai
- Habib Muhammad Luthfi bin Yahya, Indonesian Islamic cleric
- Habib Munzir Al-Musawa, Indonesian Islamic cleric
- Habib Umar bin Hafiz al-Shaikh Abubakr, Islamic scholar
- Habib Uthman bin Yahya, mufti of Batavia
- Habib Bank
- Habib ur Rahman (disambiguation)
- Habib Public School
- Habibi (disambiguation)
- Habibullah (disambiguation)
- Mike Campbell. "Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Habib". Behind the Name.
- Nihad Nadam. "NameArabic: Meaning, Arabic names with Calligraphy and meaning". Name Arabic.
- Kitty. "Habibi meaning and useful expressions in Arabic". Name Arabic.
- "CHURCH FATHERS: Martyrdom of Habib the Deacon". www.newadvent.org. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- Davies, Noel; Conway, Martin (2008). World Christianity in the Twentieth Century: A Reader. Hymns Ancient and Modern Ltd. ISBN 9780334040446.
- Roberts, Reverend Alexander (2007-05-01). The Ante-Nicene Fathers: The Writings of the Fathers Down to A. D. 325, Volume VIII Fathers of the Third and Fourth Century - the Twelve Patriarchs, Ex. Cosimo, Inc. ISBN 9781602064836.