|LGA and town|
|Motto(s): Majestic City of Stallion|
|Time zone||WAT (UTC+1)|
Hadejia (also Hadeja, previously Biram) is a Hausa town in eastern Jigawa State, northern Nigeria. The population was approximately 105,628 in 2006. The people of Hadejia are largely Muslim, although some follow indigenous belief systems. The town lies to the north of the Hadejia River, and is upstream from the Hadejia-Nguru wetlands, an internationally important ecological and sensitive zone.
Hadejia was once known as Biram, and is referred to as one of the "seven true Hausa states" (Hausa Bakwai), because it was ruled by the descendants of the Hausa mythological figure Bayajidda and his second wife, Daurama. By 1810, during the Fulani War, the Hausa rulers of the Hausa Bakwai had all been overcome by the Fulani. Hadejia had been transformed into an Emirate two years earlier, in 1808. In 1906 Hadejia resisted British occupation, under the then Emir (Muhammadu Mai-Shahada). Hadejia was absorbed into Jigawa State in 1991. Hadejia is a center for rice and wheat farming and is strong in poultry, fish and animal farming.
Binyaminu Usman Polytechnic is located at Hadejia.
- "Hadejia". Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. Retrieved 2006-12-22.
- Muhammad J. Chiroma; Yahaya D. Kazaure; Yahya B. Karaye; Abba J. Gashua. "Water Management Issues in the Hadejia-Jama'are-Komadugu-Yobe Basin: DFID-JWL and Stakeholders Experience in Information Sharing, Reaching Consensus and Physical Interventions" (PDF). International Water Management Institute. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- "Daura". Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. Retrieved 2006-12-21.
- Dierk Lange. "Oral version of the Bayajidda legend" (PDF). Ancient Kingdoms of West Africa. Retrieved 2006-12-21.
- Johnston, H. A. S (1967). "The Consolidation of the Empire". The Fulani Empire of Sokoto. Amana Online. Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- "About Us". Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "Duwai". Ethnologue. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
|This Jigawa State, Nigeria location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|