Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe
|Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe|
|Queen Mother of Tonga|
Halaevalu in her youth
|Queen Consort of Tonga|
|Tenure||16 December 1965 – 10 September 2006|
|Coronation||4 July 1967|
|Born||29 May 1926|
Kingdom of Tonga
|Died||19 February 2017 (aged 90)|
Mercy Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
|Burial||1 March 2017|
King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV
(m. 1946; his death 2006)
|Issue||George Tupou V of Tonga|
Salote, Princess Royal
Prince Fatafehi Ala'i'vahamama'o Tuku'aho
Aho'eitu Tupou VI of Tonga
Halaevalu Mata'aho ʻAhomeʻe (29 May 1926 – 19 February 2017) was the Queen Consort of Tonga from 1965 to 2006, and the widow of the late King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV of Tonga. She was the mother of King George Tupou V and the current reigning King of Tonga, Tupou VI.
Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe was born on 29 May 1926, the eldest daughter of ‘Ahome’e (Manu-‘o-pangai) and his wife, Heuʻifanga Veikune, a great-granddaughter of the Tu'i Tonga She was also a great-great-granddaughter of Maʻafu.
She was educated at St Joseph's Convent School, Nuku’alofa, and St Mary's College, in Auckland, New Zealand.
The Queen Mother celebrated her 85th birthday in 2011 with a five-day celebration held in May. The celebrations began with a garden party for more than one hundred Tongan women held at the home of the President of the Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga, Rev. Dr. ‘Ahio. The Queen Mother attended a Roman Catholic mass at St. Mary's Cathedral in Ma'ufanga with King Siaosi Tupou V on May 26, 2011. The Tongan Ministry of Education, Women Affairs and Culture held a student celebration for her birthday on May 27, with primary school students from Pangai Lahi to Teufaiva Park, presenting the Queen Mother with birthday gifts. A private party was held in Ha'avakatolo the next day, followed by a church service held at the Centennial Church on Sunday, May 29, and a luncheon at the Royal Palace in Nukuʻalofa.
The Queen Mother embarked on a two-week trip to the U.S. state of Utah in July and August 2011. Specifically, the Queen Mother came to visit the Tongan United Methodist Church in West Valley City, Utah, whose congregation had raised approximately $500,000 in less than a year to pay off the mortgage on the building. The Mayor of West Valley City, Michael K. Winder, awarded the Queen Mother the key to the city on July 27, 2011. She also met with Utah Governor Gary Herbert the next day.
On 19 February 2017, the Queen Mother died aged 90, which was confirmed by her granddaughter Princess Lātūfuipeka Tukuʻaho, High Commissioner of Tonga to Australia, a week after she was flown to Auckland, New Zealand, for minor medical issues; the cause of death, however, was not released publicly.
The Queen Mother was flown back to Tonga by the Royal Beechcraft G.18S Aircraft on February 28 flanked by the C-130 Hercules of the Royal New Zealand Air Force, after lying-in-state at the Tongan royal residence, 'Atalanga in Epsom, Auckland.
Titles, styles and honours
Titles and styles
- 29 May 1926 – 10 June 1946: The Honourable Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe
- 10 June 1946 – 16 December 1965: Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Tonga.
- 16 December 1965 - 11 September 2006: Her Majesty The Queen Consort of Tonga.
- 11 September 2006 - 19 February 2017: Her Majesty The Queen Mother of Tonga.
- Tonga: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of Pouono
- Tonga: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Crown
- Tonga: Knight Grand Cross of the Order Order of Sālote Tupou III
- Tonga: Dame of the Royal Family Decoration of King George Tupou V
- Tonga: Recipient of the Red Cross Medal
- Tonga: Recipient of the King Tupou VI Coronation Medal
- Tonga: Recipient of the King George Tupou V Coronation Medal
- Tonga: Recipient of the King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV Silver Jubilee Medal
- Germany: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, Special Class
- Japan: Paulownia Dame Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown
- Taiwan: Grand Cross of the Order of Propitious Clouds
- United Kingdom: Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal
- United Kingdom: Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal
See the Tongan language page and ancestor's page ...
|Ancestors of Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe|
- "A week of celebration underway for the Queen's 85th Birthday". Ministry of Information and Communications. 2011-05-25. Archived from the original on 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Reigning Royal Families: Tonga International Who's Who, retrieved 6 January 2011
- Royal Ark
- "Queen Mother celebrates 85th birthday". Taimi Media Network. 2011-05-31. Archived from the original on 2011-06-05. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- "The Royal Family". Tongan Royal Family. Archived from the original on 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Farmer, Molly (2011-07-30). "Queen Mother of Tonga celebrates with West Valley congregation". Deseret News. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Andrew Cusack
- Coronation of King Tupou VI
- Getty Images
- Royal Ark, Tonga – Tupou 10
- Star worn on left waist and badge worn beside star on right breast
- wearing the order badge on her left breast
- Royal Ark
Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻeBorn: 29 May 1926 Died: 19 February 2017
Viliami Tungī Mailefihi
as prince consort
| Queen Consort of Tonga
1965 – 2006