Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe
|Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho|
|Queen Mother of Tonga|
|Queen Consort of Tonga|
|Tenure||16 December 1965 - 10 September 2006|
|Coronation||4 July 1967|
29 May 1926 |
|Spouse||King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV (m. 1947)|
|Issue||George Tupou V of Tonga
Princess Salote, Princess Royal
King Aho'eitu Tupou VI of Tonga
|Royal Family of Tonga|
HM The Queen Mother
Halaevalu Mata'aho ʻAhomeʻe (born 29 May 1926) is the mother of the deceased King George Tupou V and the reigning King Tupou VI of Tonga, as well as the widow of King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV, who died in 2006.
Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe was born on 29 May 1926, the oldest daughter of ‘Ahome’e (Manu-‘o-pangai) and his wife, Heuʻifanga, a great-granddaughter of the last King of the Tuʻi Tonga Empire. The Queen Mother is a great-great-granddaughter of Maʻafu. Halaevalu Mataʻaho married her husband, Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV, on June 10, 1947. Taufa'ahau Tupou IV died in 2006.
The Queen Mother celebrated her 85th birthday in 2011 with a five-day celebration held in May. The celebrations began with a Garden Party for more than one hundred Tongan women held at the home of the President of the Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga, Rev. Dr. ‘Ahio. The Queen Mother attended a Catholic mass at St. Mary's Cathedral in Ma'ufanga with King Siaosi Tupou V on May 26, 2011. The Tongan Ministry of Education, Women Affairs and Culture held a student celebration for her birthday on May 27, with of primary school students from Pangai Lahi to Teufaiva Park, including presenting the Queen Mother with birthday gifts. A private party was held in Ha'avakatolo the next day, followed by a church service held at Centennial Church on Sunday, May 29, with a royal luncheon at the Royal Palace in Nukuʻalofa.
The Queen Mother embarked on a two-week trip to the U.S. state of Utah in July and August 2011. Specifically, the Queen Mother came to visit the Tongan United Methodist Church in West Valley City, Utah, whose congregation had raised approximately $500,000 in less than a year to pay off the mortgage on the building. The Mayor of West Valley City, Michael K. Winder, awarded the Queen Mother the key to the city on July 27, 2011. She met with Utah Governor Gary Herbert the next day.
- President of the Tonga Red Cross Society (TRCS) since 1972.
Titles and honours
- 1926 – 1947 : The Honorable Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe.
- 1947 – 1965 : Her Royal Highness Princess Halaevalu Mata'aho, The Crown Princess of Tonga.
- 1965 – 2006 : Her Majesty Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho, The Queen of Tonga.
- Since 2006 : Her Majesty Queen Halaevalu Mata'aho, The Queen Mother of Tonga.
- Tonga: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Royal Order of Pouono (KGCCP)
- Tonga: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Crown of Tonga (KGCCCT)
- Tonga: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Queen Salote Tupou III (KGCQS)
- Tonga: Former Grand Mistress Dame of the King George Tupou V Royal Family Order (DKGTRFO)
- Tonga: Recipient of the Tongan Red Cross Medal (RTRCM)
- Tonga: Recipient of the King Tupou VI Coronation Medal
- Tonga: Recipient of the King George Tupou V Coronation Medal
- Tonga: Recipient of the King Tāufaʻāhau Tupou IV Silver Jubilee Medal
- United Kingdom: Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Badge Medal (2 June 1953)
- United Kingdom: Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Badge Medal (6 February 1977)
- China: Grand Cross (Special Class) of the Order of Propitious Clouds (19 September 1977)
- Germany: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, Special Class (2 December 1977)
- Japan: Paulownia Dame Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown
See the Tongan language page and ancestor's page ...
|Ancestors of Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe|
- "A week of celebration underway for the Queen's 85th Birthday". Ministry of Information and Communications. 2011-05-25. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Reigning Royal Families: Tonga International Who's Who, retrieved 6 January 2011
- Royal Ark
- "Queen Mother celebrates 85th birthday". Taimi Media Network. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- "The Royal Family". Tongan Royal Family. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Farmer, Molly (2011-07-30). "Queen Mother of Tonga celebrates with West Valley congregation". Deseret News. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Royal Ark, Tonga – Tupou 10
- Star worn on left waist and badge worn beside star on right breast
- Royal Ark
- wearing the order badge on her left chest
- Royal Ark
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻe, Queen of Tonga.|
Halaevalu Mataʻaho ʻAhomeʻeBorn: 29 May 1926
Viliami Tungī Mailefihi
as prince consort
|Queen Consort of Tonga
1965 – 2006