Vestberg in 2018, Photo courtesy of Verizon
June 23, 1965|
CEO of Verizon, Former CEO of Ericsson|
President of Verizon Network & Technology Division (since 2017)
CTO (2017) 
Hans Vestberg born 23 June 1965, is a Swedish businessman and elected CEO of Verizon Communications where he so far worked as EVP of Network and Technology team and CTO. Vestberg was previously the CEO of telecommunications company Ericsson.
Early life and education
Vestberg began his professional career in Hudiksvall at Ericsson Cables in 1991. He worked at Ericsson for 25 years, with management roles for the company in Sweden, China, Brazil, Mexico and the U.S.. He was CFO for Ericsson in Brazil from 1998 to 2000. From 2000 to 2002, Vestberg was CFO for Ericsson in North America and controller for the Americas. He served as president for Ericsson in Mexico from 2002 to 2003. Afterward, he served as a senior vice president and executive vice president for Ericsson before he was named chief financial officer in 2007, a post he held through 2009. Vestberg became the first CEO of Ericsson with an engineering background when he replaced Carl-Henric Svanberg in January 2010. Ericsson ousted Vestberg on July 25, 2016, following poor financial results.
Vestberg jointed Verizon as the company's chief technology officer and executive vice president of its Network and Technology team on April 3, 2017. There, he oversaw Verizon's fiber network and the development of Verizon's nascent 5G network. Verizon announced on June 8, 2018, that Vestberg would succeed Lowell McAdam as the company's chief executive officer on August 1.
Vestberg was the chairman of the Swedish Handball Federation from 2007 to 2016. He left the Swedish Handball Federation to serve as president of the Swedish Olympic Committee from 2016 to 2018 as the country vied to host the 2026 Winter Olympics. Vestberg had previously played semipro handball in Brazil.
- Krouse, Sarah (8 June 2018). "Verizon CEO to Retire, Succeeded by a Newcomer". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- Trichur, Rita (2 February 2012). "Ericsson and the mobile broadband revolution". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 29 June 2018. (Registration required (. ))
Personal: Born June 23, 1965 in Hudiksvall, Sweden. He is married with two children and currently resides in Stockholm.
- Charlton, Alistair (17 January 2014). "Microsoft CEO Race - Profile of Hans Vestberg". International Business Times. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- Erika Svantesson, Hasse Eriksson. "Hans Vestberg ny vd för Ericsson". DN.SE. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- "Fakta: Hans Vestberg". st.nu. 2009-06-26. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- Rao, Prashant S.; de la Merced, Michael J. (8 June 2018). "At Verizon, a Changing of the Guard as It Pursues 5G". The New York Times. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "Change of guard at Ericsson". FierceWireless. 24 June 2009. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "Ericsson ousts CEO Vestberg, shares soar". Reuters. 25 July 2016. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
Ericsson's board were unanimous in its decision, which comes after months of criticism against Vestberg's leadership and pay.
- Hodgson, Camilla (8 June 2018). "Former Ericsson boss Hans Vestberg is appointed Verizon chief". Financial Times. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- McLaughlin, Kim (25 July 2016). "Ericsson Ousts Vestberg as CEO After Turnaround Plans Stall". Bloomberg. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- Spangler, Todd (2017-03-31). "Verizon Hires Ex-Ericsson CEO Hans Vestberg, Eyes U.S. Internet Pay-TV Launch". Variety. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- Mukherjee, Supantha; Dang, Sheila (8 June 2018). "Verizon names tech chief CEO; prioritizes 5G network over content". Reuters. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- "Hans Vestberg elected chairman of Swedish Olympic Committee". European Handball Federation. 21 April 2016. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- Cornelia Ilie and Stephanie Schnurr, eds. (2017). Challenging Leadership Stereotypes Through Discourse: Power, Management and Gender. Springer. p. 86. ISBN 9789811043192. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "Stockholm: Staging 2026 Winter Olympics is 'desirable'". The Associated Press. 27 January 2017. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
Press comments to Vestberg's appointment as Ericsson CEO:
- Here’s Why Ericsson and Cisco Are Teaming Up on Mobile. Re/code, 2015
|This Swedish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|