|Born||December 17, 1967|
|Service/||Israel Defense Forces|
|Years of service||1985–|
|Commands held||Sayeret Matkal, Paratroopers Brigade, 91st Division, Military Intelligence Directorate|
Herzl "Herzi" Halevi (Hebrew: הרצי (הרצל) הלוי) is a major general in the Israel Defense Forces and the current chief of the Israeli Southern Command. Halevi is the first Orthodox Jew to serve as head of Israeli military intelligence.
Halevi was born in 1967 and was named for an uncle who died in the Six-Day War several months before he was born. Halevi's mother's family lived in Jerusalem for 14 generations, while his father's parents emigrated from Russia.
Halevi has four children.
Halevi was drafted into the IDF in 1985. He volunteered as a paratrooper in the Paratroopers Brigade. He served as a soldier and a squad leader. In 1987 he became an infantry officer after completing Officer Candidate School and return to the Paratroopers Brigade as a platoon leader. Halevi led the Brigade's Anti-tank company in counter-guerrilla operations in South Lebanon. Afterwards he was assigned to Sayeret Matkal, the IDF's special forces unit, where he served as a company commander. later on Halevi commanded Sayeret Matkal, during the Second Intifada. His next command was the Menashe Regional Brigade. During Operation Cast Lead Halevi commanded the 35th Paratroopers Brigade. He later commanded the 91st Division.
In September 2014 he was appointed as the chief of the Israeli Military Intelligence Directorate. Halevi visited the United States for the second time since being named major general in March 2015.
- Bachner, Michael (June 7, 2018). "IDF taps military intel head as new chief of volatile Southern Command". The Times of Israel. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Goldberg, J.J. (8 October 2014). "A Kippah on the Head of Israel's Intelligence Chief". The Forward. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Rudoren, Jodi (15 November 2013). "To a Philosopher-General in Israel, Peace Is the Time to Prepare for War". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- Gal Perl Finkel, IDF promotes officers who think outside the box, but still follow the line, The Jerusalem Post, June 18, 2018.
- Gal Perl Finkel, A NEW STRATEGY AGAINST ISIS, The Jerusalem Post, March 7, 2017.
- Israel's intelligence chief visits United States, Ynetnews, August 03, 2015.