Honolulu mayoral election, 2010
The 2010 Honolulu special mayoral election was held on September 18, 2010. The election coincided with Hawaii's primary election. The winner of the election, Peter Carlisle, filled the unexpired term of former Democratic Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann, who resigned on July 20, 2010 to run in the 2010 election for Governor of Hawaii.
Special election background
Mayor Mufi Hannemann was re-elected to second term in the 2008 mayoral election. In 2010, Hannemann announced his intention seek the Democratic nomination for Governor of Hawaii in the gubernatorial election. Under Hawaii's resign-to-run law, Hannemann had to resign as Mayor of Honolulu in order to pursue election to another office in the state.
Mayor Hannemann resigned from office on July 20, 2010, and formally became a candidate for Governor of Hawaii. Hanneman's resignation necessitated a special mayoral election to fill the remainder of the mayor's unexpired term.
The Honolulu City Council set the date for the mayoral election for September 18, 2010.
- Kirk Caldwell - Acting Mayor of Honolulu.
- Peter Carlisle - Honolulu city prosecutor and lawyer
- Panos D. Prevedouros - University of Hawaii engineering professor
- Rod Tam - Honolulu city councilman
- Donovan Dela Cruz - two term Honolulu city councilman
An August 2010 poll conducted by Hawaii News Now and the Star-Advertiser showed Peter Carlisle at 49 percent, Kirk Caldwell with 25 percent, Panos Prevedouros with 11 percent, and Rod Tam being favored by 4 percent of potential voters. Carlisle won the election.
|Results, Honolulu mayoral special election, September 18, 2010|
|Nonpartisan||Khistina De Jean||761||0.4|
|Nonpartisan||John Andrew McLeod||391||0.2|
|[[|N/A]]||Blank Votes/Over Votes||11,218||5.5|
- Okita, Teri (2010-08-24). "Exclusive poll shows clear frontrunner in Honolulu mayor's race". Hawaii News Now. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- "Mufi Hannemann to resign as Honolulu Mayor". KHON-TV. 2010-07-20. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- "Mufi Hannemann resigns, files papers for governor Mayor". Samoa News. 2010-07-21. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- David, Mari-Ela (2010-08-21). "Hannemann resigns, Hawaii governor's race officially starts". Hawaii News Now. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- "Rail opponent Panos Prevedouros to run for mayor". Hawaii News Now. 2010-01-25. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- B. J. Reyes (September 18, 2010). "Carlisle wins Honolulu mayor's race". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Retrieved September 29, 2010.