To build a harmonious information world
|Headquarters||Chengdu, People's Republic of China|
Ren Zhengfei, CEO
Tad Lebeck, CTO
Huawei Symantec Technologies Co. Ltd. (Chinese: 华为赛门铁克科技有限公司; pinyin: Huáwéi Sàiméntiěkè Kējì Yǒuxiàn Gōngsī) was a developer, producer and supplier of network security, storage and computing solutions. The joint venture was disbanded in March 2012  when Symantec sold its share in the company to Huawei, which is headquartered in Chengdu, People's Republic of China. Huawei originally owned 51% of the company, while Symantec owned 49%. Huawei is a Chinese-based company, while Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC) is a US-based corporation headquartered in Mountain View, California.
- 2000: Huawei started R&D in the security technology field; Symantec is a provider of antivirus and security software
- 2004: Huawei started R&D in storage technology field
- 2005: Symantec acquires Veritas Software, manufacturer of Information Lifecycle Management software
- 2007 (May): Huawei and Symantec sign an agreement for the establishment of a joint venture in order to provide end-to-end solutions in the domain of converging network, security, and storage and computing technologies.
- 2008 (February): Huawei Symantec was established.
- 2012 (March): Huawei acquires the 49% of shares held by the Symantec Corporation at a price of about 530 million U.S. dollars or 3.4 billion yuan.
Technological convergence and R&D
Huawei Symantec is a holder of more than 300 patents in storage and network security field, and about 30 of them were accepted as formal technological standards. Huawei Symantec's technologists participate in various standardization organizations, including holding chair and vice-chair posts. More than 50% of employees are engaged in research and development activities with labs located in Beijing, Shenzhen, Hangzhou in China, and in India.
Acquisition by Huawei
On November 14, 2011, Beijing Time, Huawei and Symantec reached an agreement on a transaction where Huawei acquired Symantec’s 49% stake in Huawei Symantec Technologies Co., Ltd. (Huawei Symantec) for USD 530 million. Upon closing the agreement gave Huawei full ownership of Huawei Symantec. Huawei Symantec and Symantec Corporation are two separate entities.
- "Huawei – Symantec, broken join venture and the fear on chinese firms". Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Perlroth, Nicole; Markoff, John (2012-03-26). "Symantec Dissolves a Chinese Alliance". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Jander, Mary (2007-05-23). "Huawei & Symantec Make It Official". Byte and Switch. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 14 February 2009.
- "Contact Us – Huawei Symantec". Huawei Symantec. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Huawei, Symantec joint venture gets EU go-ahead". Xinhua News Agency. 2007-12-21. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 14 February 2009.
- Tan, Lynn (2007-05-22). "Huawei, Symantec forge joint venture". ZDNet (CBS Interactive). Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 14 February 2009.
- "Huawei Symantec: A Pilot of Storage and Network Security Solutions in the Information Era". Huawei Symantec. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Corporate Briefing Of Huawei Symantec (2008)". Huawei Symantec. 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Huawei Symantec Overview". Huawei Symantec. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "Huawei Acquires Symantec Stake in Huawei Symantec Joint Venture". Symantec. Retrieved 2011-12-02.