|S. Hussain Zaidi|
|Genre||Crime, Mafia, Investigation|
|Notable works||Black sunday, Dongri to Dubai: Six Decades of the Mumbai Mafia|
|Spouse||Velly Thevar |
S. Hussain Zaidi is an Indian author and former investigative journalist. His works include Dongri to Dubai: Six Decades of the Mumbai Mafia, Mafia Queens of Mumbai, Black Friday, My Name is Abu Salem, Black friday and Mumbai Avengers.
Zaidi's began his career in journalism while working for the newspaper The Asian Age, where he became the Resident Editor. Zaidi later worked for several other periodicals, including The Indian Express, Mid Day and Mumbai Mirror. His in-depth research on the Mumbai mafia has been used[clarification needed] by international authors like Misha Glenny in McMafia and Vikram Chandra in his book Sacred Games. Zaidi was once kidnapped in Iraq.
Zaidi has covered the Mumbai mafia for several decades. His 2002 book Black Friday detailed the 1993 Mumbai bombings, an attack comprising 13 explosions that killed 250 people. The book was adapted two years later, in 2004, into a film by Anurag Kashyap also titled Black Friday. The film was so controversial that the Indian Censor Board did not allow it to be released in India for three years and was finally released on 9 February 2007 after Supreme Court of India allowed it following the verdict in the '93 Bombay blast case was delivered by TADA court. In Dongri to Dubai: Six Decades of the Mumbai Mafia, a historical account of the Mumbai mafia, Zaidi conducted an interview with crime boss Dawood Ibrahim, who is suspected of having orchestrated the bombings. The book was adapted into a film, Shootout at Wadala by Sanjay Gupta.
The 2015 Kabir Khan film Phantom starring Saif Ali Khan and Katrina Kaif, is an adaptation of Zaidi's book Mumbai Avengers, and the screenplay of the film has been written in co-ordination with the author.
- Black Friday (2002)
- Mafia Queens of Mumbai (2011)
- Dongri to Dubai: Six Decades of the Mumbai Mafia (2012)
- Headley and I (2012)
- Byculla to Bangkok (2014)
- My Name is Abu Salem (2014)
- Mumbai Avengers (2015)
- Dangerous Minds (2017)
- "A Conversation With: Author and Journalist S. Hussain Zaidi".
- "It's a don's life".
- "Boss Hussain Zaidi stands by Jigna Vora | Latest News & Updates at". Dnaindia.com. 26 November 2011. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- "List of articles by S. Hussain Zaidi". http://archive.indianexpress.com/. The Indian Express Ltd. Retrieved 18 April 2015. External link in
- "The People's Paper". Tehelka. 29 July 2006. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- "India's Independent Weekly News Magazine". Tehelka. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- "'Amitabh Bachchan saved my life when I was kidnapped in Iraq'".
- Vyawahare, Malavika (20 July 2012). "A Conversation With: Author and Journalist S. Hussain Zaidi". The New York Times Company. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "HBO documentary Terror in Mumbai, narrated by Fareed Zakaria, debuts Nov. 19". emanuellevy.com. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "HBO: Terror in Mumbai: Synopsis". hbo.com. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Kabir Khan to cast Saif Ali Khan in post 2611 counter terror film". ibnlive.com. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "Book review - Mumbai Avengers (Arriving as Saif-Katrina's Phantom)".