|Type of business||Subsidiary|
Type of site
|Area served||190+ countries|
|Owner||Zee Entertainment Enterprises|
(to be Merged with Sony Pictures Networks India)
|Users||48.11 million (paid) 172 million monthly active users|
|Launched||14 February 2018 (India)|
22 June 2021 (USA)
ZEE5 is an Indian subscription video on-demand and over-the-top streaming service, run by Zee Entertainment Enterprises. It was launched in India on 14 February 2018 with content in 12 languages. The ZEE5 mobile app is available on Web, Android, iOS, Smart TVs, among other devices. ZEE5 claimed 56 million monthly active users in December 2019.
Ozee was an Indian digital online platform that was launched in February 2016 by Zee Entertainment Enterprises. As of 14 February 2018, the service has been integrated into ZEE5. It aired shows from all of the Zee channel bouquet such as Zee TV, & TV, Zee Café. It aired Zindagi shows exclusively since Zindagi went Ozee-exclusive. The platform was ad-supported and also free of cost no matter what device used. It was shutdown due to ZEE5.
ZEE5 has subsumed Zee's existing video streaming platforms: Ozee (advertising-based) and DittoTV (subscription-based), comes with 1 lakh hours of content including exclusive originals, Indian and international movies and TV shows, music, live television, health and lifestyle videos in 12 regional languages.
The platform started streaming web series in 2018 with Nanna Koochi (Telugu), America Mappillai (Tamil) and Dhatt Tere Ki (Hindi). In the same year, the platform also introduced another web series titled, Kallachirippu which was produced by popular filmmaker Karthik Subbaraj, and Karenjit Kaur – The Untold Story of Sunny Leone, a biographical web series on Sunny Leone.
In July 2019, ZEE5 and ALTBalaji announce content alliance – ZEE5 subscribers will get seamless access to ALTBalaji's originals in addition to existing ZEE5 content.
Exclusive dubbed programming
OZEE aired these exclusive shows until getting integrated into Zee5.
- Total Dreamer (Zindagi) (2017–2018)
- A Love Story (Zindagi) (2017–2018)
- Snowdrop (Zindagi) (2017–2018)
- Boys Over Flowers (Zindagi) (2017–2018)
All the shows owned by Zee TV were telecast on ZEE5. Music videos were in a separate section of the site; and it offered a wide collection of movies. Channels on-air on ZEE5 before integration with Zee included those broadcast as: Zee TV, & TV (Hindi), Zee Keralam (Malayalam), Zee Marathi (Marathi), Zee Sarthak (Odia), Zee Kannada (Kannada), Zee Telugu (Telugu), Zee Bangla (Bengali), Zee Punjabi (Punjabi), Zee Tamil (Tamil), Zee Ganga (Bhojpuri) and Zee Café (English). Entertainment Channels not on ZEE5 included: Zee Anmol (old series taken from Zee TV), Zee Yuva (old series taken from Zee Marathi and Zee Yuva).
HiPi is a video sharing social platform for Indian audiences where users can record and upload their own videos and can also view and engage with the videos shared by other people. Users can access the platform on the ZEE5 App for free.
The service has been launched in every country, lastly in the United States on June 22, 2021. ZEE5 has launched Ad Suite which has Ad Vault, Ampli5, Play5 and Wishbox. ZEE5 is also available for free on Vodafone Play (a streaming service of Vodafone Idea) and Airtel Xstream (a streaming service of Bharti Airtel). Vodafone Idea joined ZEE5 and formed a new channel known as ZEE5 Theater which airs original movies and shows of ZEE5 exclusively available on vodafone play and the Idea mobile and TV app.
The platform also offers a mobile app on all platforms, and it has partnered with global tech giants like Applicaster, Lotame, Talamoos and A.I. video enhancement startup Minute.ly to provide enhanced UI/UX and improved application performance.
- "Disney+ Hotstar Has Around 8 Million Paid Subscribers, Disney Claims". NDTV. 9 April 2020.
- "Netflix vs Amazon Prime Video vs Disney+Hotstar vs ZEE5 vs Alt Balaji vs Voot others: Subscription plans detailed". The Indian Express. 7 May 2020.
- "With Ditto TV, Zee eyes a game-changer". DNA India. 1 March 2012.
- "Flashed Yesterday: Zee enters 'Over The Top TV' segment with Ditto TV". exchange4media.com. 1 March 2012. Archived from the original on 12 August 2014.
- "ZEE5 maintains momentum with 56.3 mn MAU in third quarter". Indian Television. 15 January 2019.
- Pai, Vivek (26 February 2016). "Zee Digital launches online streaming platform ZEE5 – MediaNama". www.medianama.com. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "Zee Entertainment launches new video streaming platform Zee5". Livemint.com. 14 February 2018. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- "ZEE5". comingsoon.zee5.com. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "America Mappillai: A ZEE5 Originals Tamil Web Series". www.desiblitz.com. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "ZEE5 launches its first Tamil original series 'America Mappillai'". www.desiblitz.com. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "ZEE5 to launch Tamil web series 'Kallachirippu'". BizAsia | Media, Entertainment, Showbiz, Events and Music. 24 July 2018. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- "Karthik Subbaraj is thrilled about web series Kallachirippu". The Indian Express. 25 July 2018. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- Jha, Lata (29 July 2019). "ZEE5 and ALTBalaji announce content alliance". mint.
- "Zee5 to launch HiPi, an indigenous TikTok rival in India". techradar.com.
- "Zee5 to launch a made-in-India rival to take on TikTok". tech.hindustantimes.com.
- "ZEE5 launches in the U.S. as world's largest streaming platform for South Asian content: Mega launch event with Priyanka Chopra Jonas - Times of India". The Times of India. Mediawire. 25 June 2021. Retrieved 26 June 2021.
- "Zee5 partners with Israeli firm Applicaster to improve viewer experience". The Hindu.
- "ZEE5 partners with Israeli tech company Applicaster". Business Standard.
- "ZEE5 chooses Applicaster to enhance app experience". Rapid TV news.