I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2016 film)
|I'll Sleep When I'm Dead|
|Directed by||Justin Krook|
|Based on||Steve Aoki|
|Music by||Duncan Thum|
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead is a 2016 Grammy-nominated documentary film about American DJ and producer Steve Aoki. It debuted at the Tribeca Film Festival and was released on Netflix on August 19, 2016. It received a Grammy nomination for Best Music Film in 2016.
It was directed by Justin Krook and was produced by David Gelb, Matthew Weaver, Happy Walters and Matt Colon. Production of the documentary started in 2014, during the time when Aoki's Neon Future album was released. A Facebook Live interview with Aoki was conducted by Katie Couric in support of the release of the documentary on August 24, 2016. Aoki told Krook, "I’m letting you take a picture of me naked and showing the world."
The documentary shows the life of Steve Aoki as a DJ and producer, and as a family man at home in Japan. Aoki's relationship with his father, owner of the restaurant chain Benihana, was also shown. Interviews with family members, and DJs and musical artists such as Diplo, Tiësto and will.i.am took place. We Got This Covered described the film as "a fine look into the life of Steve Aoki, exposing both the positives and negatives in his life that have led to mainstage superstardom" and gave it a 3/5 review.
Credits adapted from IMDb; sorted in alphabetical order and all roles of the cast are by themselves.
- Benji Madden
- Devon Aoki
- DJ AM
- Eric Garcetti
- Joel Madden
- Kid Ink
- Laidback Luke
- Matt Colton
- Mike Mowery
- Pete Tong
- Rocky Aoki
- Steve Aoki
- Travis Barker
- "Steve Aoki's Big Grammy Night: Go Behind the Scenes". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- Pullum, Roderick (2017-05-10). "We Caught Up With Steve Aoki on His Tour Bus". Dallas Observer. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Steve Aoki's 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead' Netflix doc gets trailer". Entertainment Weekly. 2016-07-25. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- Harrison, Phil; Davies, Hannah J.; Frazer-Carroll, Micha; Walker, Amy (2016-08-13). "Catch-up and download: From Inhuman Condition to I'll Sleep When I'm Dead". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "The Chainsmokers and Steve Aoki among Grammy nominees". FACT Magazine: Music News, New Music. 2016-12-06. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Luc Belaire Enlists Grammy-Nominated DJ Steve Aoki as the Official Brand Ambassador for Luc Belaire". www.newswire.ca. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Superstar DJ Steve Aoki Will Sleep When He's Dead". MTV News. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Netflix hopes to do the dance community justice with 'XOXO' and 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead'". Los Angeles Times. 2016-08-18. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Grammys 2017: Katy Perry's white pant suit protest, plus Beyonce's red quick change". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- Murillo, Aimee (2016-08-17). "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead Chases the 128-bpm Steve Aoki Story". OC Weekly. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Steve Aoki 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead' Documentary Hits Netflix | The Nocturnal Times". www.thenocturnaltimes.com. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "Steve Aoki Documentary 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead' Hits Netflix". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- Gutierrez, Juan (2016-09-23). "How Filmmaker Justin Krook Created an Intimate Portrait of Steve Aoki". L.A. Weekly. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- Radio, Southern California Public (2016-08-18). "Netflix documentary shows 'other side' of Steve Aoki". Southern California Public Radio. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "It Turns Out that the Steve Aoki Documentary is a Film About Dad Issues". Thump. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead Review". We Got This Covered. 2016-08-23. Retrieved 2017-07-26.