Women's Cricket World Cup Qualifier
|Administrator||International Cricket Council|
|Format||Limited-overs (50 overs)|
|Number of teams||15 (total)
10 (most recent)
|Current champion||India (2017)|
|Most successful|| India
West Indies (1 each)
The Women's World Cup was first held in 1973, and for the first seven editions participation was determined solely by invitation, issued at the discretion of the International Women's Cricket Council (IWCC). A qualification tournament was first held in 2003 (for the 2005 World Cup), which was hosted by the Netherlands and won by Ireland. Three subsequent tournaments have been held – in 2008, hosted by South Africa and won by Pakistan; in 2011, hosted by Bangladesh and won by the West Indies; and in 2017, hosted by Sri Lanka and won by India.
The inaugural event in 2003 was organised by the IWCC and branded as the IWCC Trophy. The IWCC was subsumed by the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2005, and all other editions have been known simply as the World Cup Qualifier. The number of teams and qualifying places has varied at each tournament – in 2003, six teams competed for two qualifying spots, while at the next edition (in 2008) eight teams contested two qualifying spots. The 2011 event saw ten teams compete for three qualifying places, and the 2017 tournament featured ten teams and four qualifying places.
|2003||Netherlands||no final|| Ireland
|Ireland won on points
| West Indies
|2008||South Africa||Stellenbosch|| Pakistan
62/2 (13.4 overs)
|Pakistan won by 8 wickets
| South Africa
61 (24.3 overs)
|2011||Bangladesh||Dhaka|| West Indies
250/5 (50 overs)
|West Indies won by 130 runs
120 (37.3 overs)
|2017||Sri Lanka||Colombo|| India
245/9 (50 overs)
|India won by 1 wicket
| South Africa
244 (49.4 overs)
Performance by team
- 1st – Champions
- 2nd – Runners-up
- 3rd – Third place
- Q – Qualified
- × – Did not participate, already qualified for World Cup
- — Hosts
- Teams that qualified for the World Cup in a particular year are underlined
|Papua New Guinea||—||7th||—||10th||2|
- International Women's Cricket Council (IWCC): Fifteenth Meeting – Women's Cricket History. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- International Women's Cricket Council Trophy 2003 – CricketArchive. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifying Series 2007/08 – CricketArchive. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- ICC Women's World Cup Qualifying Series 2011/12 – CricketArchive. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "World Cup 2017: Women's Championship will form qualifying". BBC Sport. Retrieved 30 June 2015.