|Member of the Moldovan Parliament|
|Assumed office |
24 February 2019
|Mayor of Orhei|
1 July 2015 – 9 April 2019
|Preceded by||Vitalie Colun|
|Born||6 March 1987|
Tel Aviv, Israel
|Political party||Republican Socio-Political Movement Equality|
|Occupation||Financier, banker, politician|
Ilan Shor (or Șor; born 6 March 1987) is a Moldovan hideaway businessman and politician. From July 2015 to April 2019, he served as mayor of the Moldovan city of Orhei. He owns several Moldovan businesses, including a company named Dufremol (Duty-free) and the FC Milsami football club. In 2014, he became the chairman of the board of the Saving Bank of Moldova. He has reported in an interview that he started his own business at 13 in a mobile phone shop. He is good friends with another Moldovan millionaire, Gabi Stati.
Ilan Shor was born in Tel Aviv, Israel on 6 March 1987, the son of Miron and Maria Shor, Moldovan Jews from Chișinău who had moved to Israel in the late 1970s. The family returned to Chișinău around 1990, when Shor was either two or three years old, and his father went into business in Moldova. His father died in 2005. Ilan Shor has been married to the Russian singer Jasmin (who is 10 years older than him) since 2011. In addition to Jasmin's son from a previous marriage, they have a daughter, Margarita, who was born in 2012, and a son, Miron, who was born in 2016.
The $1 billion bank fraud scandal
The Kroll report claims that although the final beneficiaries are unknown, some companies that Ilan Shor has links to benefited, either directly or indirectly, from loans issued from the three banks involved in the Moldovan bank fraud scandal. On November 26, 2014 the banks went bankrupt and were later placed under special administration of the National Bank of Moldova. On 27 November, the Moldovan Government, headed by Prime Minister Iurie Leancă, secretly decided to bail out the three banks with $870 million in emergency loans, covered from state reserves. This created a deficit in Moldovan public finances equivalent to an eighth of the country's GDP.
In the week preceding the 2014 Moldovan parliamentary elections, more than $750 million were extracted from the three banks between 24 and 26 November. A van belonging to Klassica Force, while transporting 12 sacks of bank files, was stolen and burned on November 27. Records of many transactions were deleted from the banks' computers.
In March 2015 Ilan Shor was suspected by the National Anti-Corruption Center (NAC) for his work in Saving Bank. On 17 March 2015 he was questioned for 8 hours and Anti Corruption officers seized his personal property. On May 6 2015 Shor was placed under house arrest. As of 2015, Shor is allowed to move freely, after a period of house arrest. This is because he fully cooperated with the investigation. Despite this, he was allowed to register for electoral race for the mayor of city of Orhei, a contest in which he won 62% of the vote on June 14 local government election.
Mayor of Orhei
After having been elected as Mayor of Orhei on the 14th June with 62% of the vote, Ilan has been busy modernising and improving the City. Notable works include building over 30km of roads for the City, which has led to a large investment in the form of a new electrical wiring factory employing 2500 workers, as well as a new asphalt factory. These were both deals that Ilan took great personal interest in. He has also introduced maternity payments which have so far reached over 500 mothers, and introduced a new method of digital submissions to the City governance, which means people can register comments and complaints, and track their progress online. This is part of his new directive on open governance.
According to the polls made in 2019 related to the most popular politicians in the Republic of Moldova, Ilan Shor is ranked at the third position among the top politicians in which Moldovans have the highest trust, and by some polls he is ranked at the sixth and at the seventh position accordingly.
- Whewell, Tim (18 June 2015). "The Great Moldovan Bank Robbery". London: BBC. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Lista primarilor aleși în cadrul Alegerilor Locale Generale din 14 iunie 2015" (in Romanian). Comisia Electorală Centrală a Republicii Moldova. 2015. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- (in Russian) Молодой уроженец Тель-Авива в списке богатейших людей Молдовы
- Krasotin, Igor (6 September 2013). Илан Шор. Биография миллиардера и мужа певицы Жасмин [Ilan Shor. Biography of the Millionaire and husband of the singer Jasmin]. 1tvnet (in Russian). St Petersburg. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- Railean, Diana (6 May 2015). "Moldova's Mysterious Magnate". Prague: Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "UITE în ce lux trăieşte cel mai tânăr milionar moldovean, Ilan Shor, şi soţia sa, interpreta Jasmin" [Look at the life of Moldova's youngest millionaire, Ilan Shor, and his wife, the singer Jasmin]. Publika (in Romanian). Chişinău. 14 October 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Vezi casa primarului de Orhei, Ilan Shor și a interpretei Jasmin din Rusia" [Look at the home of he mayor of Orhei, Ilan Shor, and the singer Jasmin from Russia]. ea.md (in Romanian). Chişinău. 10 January 2017. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- "Cine este Ilan Shor, personajul principal din raportul Kroll privind "Furtul Secolului" din Republica Moldova. Omul de afaceri controleaza banci, Aeroportul din Chisinau, televiziuni si un club de fotbal". HotNews.ro (in Romanian). 5 May 2015.
- "Did Ilan Shor Take the Missing $1 Billion From Moldovan Banks?". Jewish Business News.
- "Israeli-born billionaire accused in Moldova scheme to stay under house arrest". The Times of Israel.
- "Sondaj BOP: Cei mai apreciați politicieni din Republica Moldova", UNIMEDIA, retrieved February 13, 2019
- "SONDAJ // Câte mandate de deputat ar obține PSRM, „ACUM" și PD în cricumscripția națională: Partidul Șor, la limită. Cei mai mulți respondenți optează pentru vectorul „Pro Moldova"", Ziarulnational.md/sondaj-cate-mandate-de-deputat-ar-obtine-psrm-acum-si-pd-in-cricumscriptia-nationala-partidul-sor-la-limita/, retrieved February 13, 2019
- "Partidele care ar ajunge in legislativ daca duminica viitoare ar avea loc alegeri parlamentare. Top trei politicieni care se bucura de cea mai mare incredere. Sondaj iData", protv.md, retrieved February 13, 2019
- "Sondaj: Cine sunt politicienii în care moldovenii au cea mai mare încredere", stiri.md, retrieved February 13, 2019