Independent Rail of Australia
|Predecessor||Parent company purchased by Qube Logistics|
|Founder||Lachlan Valley Railway|
|New South Wales|
|Parent||Bowport Allroads Transport|
Independent Rail of Australia was an accredited railway freight operator in New South Wales, Australia.
The company's origins can be traced back to 1990 when the Lachlan Valley Railway successfully tendered to operate wheat trains between Woodstock and Cowra on the Blayney to Cowra line for the Grain Handling Authority. However, due to the line being closed for repairs LVR grain services didn't commence until September 1993 with 4204 hauling the first services. In August 1994 the LVR operated wheat trains from Trajere on the Eugowra line to Cowra with 47 class locomotives.
In June 1999, LVRF commenced operating trip working services between Port Botany and the Cooks River container terminal in Sydney followed in July 1999 by a service between Cooks River and Carrington for R&H Transport Services. Congestion in Carrington saw the service diverted to the Toll Holdings siding at Sandgate.
By October 2006, LVRF had been sold to Stephen Heraghty of Bowport Allroads Transport and rebranded as Independent Railways of Australia.
Independent Rail provides services to Tamworth, Narrabri, Newcastle, Blayney, Cootamundra, Harefield, Minto and the Port Botany rail freight terminals. It also operates a number of RailCorp and Australian Rail Track Corporation spoil and infrastructure trains.
The LVRF fleet initially consisted of 47 class locomotives owned by the Lachlan Valley Railway, 44 class locomotives from the affiliated Lachlan Alco Automotive Group and ex Australian National wagons.
In 2005, 16 second hand MZ III class diesels from Danish operator Danske Statsbaner were purchased and renumbered as the 14 class. In April 2009 Independent Rail purchased six 44 class locomotives from the Hunter Valley Railway Trust having had them on lease for a while. It also purchased a class 47 from the LVR.
- "LVR to carry wheat from Woodstock" Railway Digest January 1991 page 9
- "The Lachlan Valley Railway's Wheat Haulage" Railway Digest October 1993 page 420
- "The Lachlan Valley Railway commences operations on the Cowra - Eugowra line" Railway Digest September 1994 page 31
- "LVR Commences Sydney Freight Operations" Railway Digest July 1999 page 12
- "Lachlan Valley Rail Freight Expands Sydney Based Operations" Railway Digest September 1999 page 10
- "Lachlan Valley Rail Freight - ELs commence working Newcastle - Sydney freight" Railway Digest March 2000 page 33
- Stephen Heraghty Macarthur Regional Organisation of Councils
- "Australasian Railway Assoociation Inc". Members. www.ara.net.au. Retrieved 30 June 2008.
- "Major Players of NSW Railways". The Gunzel Diaries. raichase.livejournal.com. Retrieved 30 June 2008.
- Qube expands regional rail capacity Qube Logistics 7 June 2012
- Rollingstock Goodwin Alco
- "GNR Power in Sydney" Railway Digest October 2000 page 33
- Independent Rail Fleet Vicsig.net