Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity
The Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA) is a United States research agency under the Director of National Intelligence's responsibility. In January 2008, Lisa Porter, an administrator at NASA with experience at DARPA, was appointed director of the activity formed in 2006 from the National Security Agency's Disruptive Technology Office (NSA DTO), the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s National Technology Alliance and the Central Intelligence Agency’s Intelligence Technology Innovation Center.
- Cuts across multiple IC agencies;
- Targets new opportunities that lie in the white spaces between agencies;
- Provides innovations that agencies avoid because of current business models; and
- Generates revolutionary capabilities that will surprise our adversaries and help us avoid being surprised.
IARPA is composed of three program offices—Smart Collection, Incisive Analysis, and Safe and Secure Operations. The goal of the Office of Smart Collection is to "dramatically improve the value of collected data from all sources". The Office of Incisive Analysis exists to "maximize insight from the information we collect, in a timely fashion". IARPA's third division, the Office of Safe and Secure Operations, exists to "counter new capabilities implemented by our adversaries that would threaten our ability to operate freely and effectively in a networked world".
The Metaphor Program
The Metaphor Program is a two-phase project designed to first develop automated techniques for recognizing, defining, and categorizing linguistic metaphors and then use that information to characterize differing cultural perspectives. The Program is headed by Heather McCallum-Bayliss. In May 2011, IARPA issued an open solicitation for private-sector parties to participate.
- New IARPA agency developing spy tools," USA Today
- "Igniting a Technical Renaissance," Maryann Lawlor, Signal, October 2007
-  Federal Bureau of Investigation National Press Release, 03 November, 2009
- "Remarks by the Director of National Intelligence Ambassador John D. Negroponte," Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, DC, September 25, 2006
- Madrigal, Alexis (May 25, 2011). "Why Are Spy Researchers Building a 'Metaphor Program'?". The Atlantic.
- "Metaphor Program Broad Agency Announcement". IARPA. Retrieved May 20, 2011.
- Weinberger, Sharon, "Spooky research cuts: US intelligence agency axes funding for work on quantum computing", Nature 459, 625 (2009), 3 June 2009
- Official website
- University of Maryland Press Release December 7, 2007
- Introducing Iarpa: It's Like Darpa, But for Spies Wired (magazine) March 24, 2008
- Q & A With IARPA Director Lisa Porter IEEE Spectrum May 1, 2008
- National Intelligence Community Enterprise Cyber Assurance Program (NICECAP)