Isle of Raasay Distillery
|Founder||Bill Dobbie & Alasdair Day|
|Headquarters||Borodale House, Isle of Raasay, Kyle, Scotland, United Kingdom IV40 8PB, |
Isle of Raasay,
|Products||Distilled and blended liquors|
Isle of Raasay Distillery is a Scotch whisky distillery on the Inner Hebridean Isle of Raasay in Northwest Scotland. The distillery is owned by R&B Distillers and was the first legal distillery on the Isle of Raasay when it opened in 2014.
R&B Distillers was founded in 2014 by Alasdair Day and Bill Dobbie. The company started its operations at the Isle of Raasay in September 2017 after receiving its distiller's license. The water used during the distilling process in the production of whisky comes from a Celtic Iron Age well. The water has a high mineral content derived from the island's volcanic and sandstone rock.
The whisky is distilled in copper pot stills and is matured at the distillery on Raasay in a variety of oak casks. The distillery will produce approximately 200,000 litres of pure alcohol per year. The distillery's flagship brand is Isle of Raasay Single Malt Scotch Whisky released since 2020.
Location and visitor centre
The distillery is based on the site of a former disused hotel called Borodale House on the southwest of the island. The Isle of Raasay Distillery also has a visitors’ centre that opened in January 2018. It was awarded 5 stars by VisitScotland as a tourist attraction in June 2018. The distillery also features a six–bedroom hotel with views over the Isle of Skye.
- IWSC 2016 Silver, ISC 2016 Bronze, HKIWSC 2016 Bronze
- ISC 2017 Bronze
- IWSC Silver 2018
- IWSC Silver 2016 for Raasay While We Wait Second Release
- World Whiskies Awards 2018 Best Scotch Grain
- Cumming, Ed (3 June 2018). "Whisky galore: in fine spirits on Raasay, Inner Hebrides". the Guardian. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "First distillery opened on Raasay". BBC News. 18 September 2017. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "Interview with Alasdair Day of Raasay Distillery". Malt. 18 September 2017. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "Isle of Raasay Distillery now has an official opening date - Scotsman Food and Drink". Scotsman Food and Drink. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "Isle of Raasay Distillery undertakes a second year of barley variety trials on Raasay". www.scotlandfoodanddrink.org. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "An inside look at the Scottish island of Raasay's first legal distillery". Foodism. 15 August 2018. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "Isle of Raasay Distillery - Premier Construction News". Premier Construction News. 1 November 2017. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "Isle of Raasay Distillery | Isle of Skye | Activities | CalMac Ferries Ltd". www.calmac.co.uk. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "Isle of Raasay Distillery Tours & Whisky Tastings". www.raasay.com. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- Dorsey, Kristy (14 June 2018). "Island distillery gets five-star rating". businessInsider. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- Roz. "Raasay Distillery Visitors Centre awarded 5-Stars by VisitScotland". theskyetimes.co.uk. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "Isle of Raasay Distillery in Isle of Raasay | Hotel Rates & Reviews on Orbitz". www.orbitz.com. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "R&B Distillers win two bronze medals in HKIWSC – FAB News". www.fabnews.live. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "World Whisky Day 2018 – Raasay cocktails at Bull in a China shop – Scotch Whisky News". www.whiskyintelligence.com. 12 May 2018. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "R&B Distillers Announce that their Raasay While We Wait whisky has won Silver award in the IWSC 2016 – Scotch Whisky News". www.whiskyintelligence.com. 2 August 2016.
- "World Whiskies Awards 2018 - Winners". www.worldwhiskiesawards.com. Retrieved 11 October 2018.