Jack Doyle (American football)
Doyle with the Indianapolis Colts in 2014
|No. 84 Indianapolis Colts|
|Date of birth:||May 5, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Indianapolis, Indiana|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||267 lb (121 kg)|
|High school:||Indianapolis (IN) Cathedral|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
John Glenn "Jack" Doyle (born May 5, 1990) is an American football tight end for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Western Kentucky, and signed with the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent.
At Cathedral High School, Doyle was All-State and earned Honorable Mention All-State honors. Doyle was a member of the team that won the championship in 2006. In his senior year, he caught 21 passes for 400 yards and four touchdowns, and earned an Indianapolis Star Honorable Mention. In addition to football, Doyle lettered in rugby and won a state title in 2008.
Western Kentucky was the only Football Bowl Subdivision program to offer Doyle an athletic scholarship. During Doyle's freshman year in 2009, he started 10 games at tight end. Doyle finished with 365 yards on 37 catches with one touchdown. After the season, Doyle was named to Phil Steele's National All-Freshman squad.
Doyle started 7 games during as a sophomore. Even though he suffered a season-ending injury, he still caught 20 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns. During his junior year, Doyle started all 12 games, and was named second-team All-Sun Belt.
Doyle, as a senior, had his best season. He started all 13 games, and caught a total of 53 passes for 566 yards and five touchdowns. Because of the stellar season, Doyle was named first-team All-Sun Belt. He was also a semifinalist for the Mackey Award.
During his time at Western Kentucky, Doyle was a three-time captain.
After going undrafted in the 2013 NFL Draft, Doyle signed with the Tennessee Titans. He was waived at the end of the preseason, and claimed by the Indianapolis Colts on September 1. Doyle was used primarily as a run blocker in his first professional season, and finished 2013 with 19 yards on 5 receptions.
In 2014, Doyle beat out fellow tight ends Weslye Saunders and Erik Swoope to make the Colts initial 53 man roster. On September 15, 2014, in a 27-30 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, Doyle caught his first touchdown pass, which was also the 50th of Andrew Luck's career. Doyle finished off 2014 with 18 receptions for 118 yards, and 2 touchdowns.
In 2015, Doyle again beat out several other tight ends to remain the Colts third-string tight end. In a 27–24 win over the Denver Broncos on November 8, 2015, Doyle caught Andrew Luck's 100th career touchdown pass. On March 3, 2016, the Colts made a qualifying offer to Doyle for the 2016 season.
- "Jack Doyle NFL Football Statistics". pro-football-reference.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Neddenriep, Kyle (21 February 2013). "Former Cathedral High School tight end Jack Doyle is just looking for a chance again". USA Today. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Tennessee Titans Sign Former WKU Tight End Jack Doyle". wkusports.com. May 1, 2013. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Morris, Jimmy (September 1, 2013). "Jack Doyle claimed on waivers by the Colts". musiccitymiracles.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Bowen, Kevin (August 30, 2014). "Analyzing The Colts 53-Man Roster". colts.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Wilson, Josh (September 5, 2015). "Taking a look at the Colts' first (but not final) 53-man roster". stampedeblue.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- Goldberg, Aaron (November 8, 2015). "Andrew Luck throws 100th career TD in huge win". fantasypros.com. Retrieved November 8, 2015.
- "Indianapolis Colts make roster move". blogs.colts.com. March 3, 2016. Retrieved March 3, 2016.