James Franklin (quarterback)
|No. 2 Toronto Argonauts|
July 23, 1991|
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school||Corinth (TX) Lake Dallas|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
James Franklin (born July 23, 1991) is an American professional Canadian football quarterback for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He played college football at Missouri. He was the Tigers' starting quarterback from 2011 to 2013. He has also been a member of the Detroit Lions (NFL) and Edmonton Eskimos (CFL).
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Corinth, TX||Lake Dallas||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)||218 lb (99 kg)||4.6||Mar 14, 2009|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 76|
As a freshman in 2010, Franklin was the backup to Blaine Gabbert. He played in 10 games, completing 11 of 14 passes for 106 yards with a touchdown and an interception. He also ran for 116 yards on 23 carries with two touchdowns. He became the starter in 2011 after Gabbert entered the 2011 NFL Draft.
As a sophomore in 2011, Franklin started all 13 games for Missouri, leading them to an 8–5 record. He completed 63.3% of his passes for 2865 yards, 21 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions. He also rushed 217 times for 981 yards and 15 touchdowns. Franklin led Missouri to a number of comeback victories, erasing a 14-point deficit against the Texas A&M Aggies and the Texas Tech Red Raiders, and a 10-point deficit against the Kansas Jayhawks. Franklin also led Missouri to its first win over the Texas Longhorns since 1997.
On March 19, 2012, it was announced that Franklin would have surgery on his throwing shoulder but he was expected to recover in time for the start of the regular season. He returned for the start of the season, but battled injuries throughout the season, appearing in only nine games. He finished the season with 1,562 passing yards, 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions.
As a senior in 2013, Franklin appeared in 10 games, missing four due to injury. He finished the season with 2,429 passing yards, 19 touchdowns and 6 interceptions. In his final college game, he helped lead the Tigers to a victory in the 2014 Cotton Bowl.
According to his Twitter account, Franklin signed in the Canadian Football League (CFL) with the Edmonton Eskimos on April 10, 2015. Franklin began the 2015 CFL season as the number 3 quarterback on the depth chart; behind Mike Reilly and Matt Nichols. In two preseason games, Franklin completed 26 of 40 pass attempts for 316 yards with 1 touchdown and 1 interception. In his next two seasons in Edmonton Franklin would only sparingly see action as he continued to back-up Mike Reilly. In three seasons with the club he attempted 176 passes, completing 116 of them for 1,449 yards with 12 touchdowns and only one interception.
On December 12, 2017, Franklin was traded by the Eskimos (along with a 2018 third round pick) to the Toronto Argonauts in exchange for national offensive lineman Mason Woods. Franklin was a pending free agent and needed to be re-signed by the Argos prior to February 13, 2018; which the Argos accomplished on January 5, 2018 when they signed him to a two-year deal.
- "James Franklin Profile". mutigers.com. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "James Franklin". Rivals.com. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "QB James Franklin makes debut as Missouri starter". The Sporting News. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "James Franklin Stats". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Missouri Tigers v. Texas A&M Aggies". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Texas Tech Raiders vs. Missouri Tigers". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Missouri Tigers vs. Kansas Jayhawks". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Gregorian, Vahe. "Mizzou beats No. 21 Texas 17–5". stltoday.com. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Reeves, Jen. "Mizzou Beats North Carolina in Independence Bowl". KOMU. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Fornelli, Tom. "Missouri's James Franklin to have shoulder surgery". CBSSports. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- Henry Josey runs for 3 TDs as Mizzou outlasts Oklahoma State
- Lions continue roster trim
- "Argos acquire rights to QB James Franklin in trade with Eskimos - CFL.ca". CFL.ca. 2017-12-11. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "Argos officially sign Franklin through 2019 - CFL.ca". CFL.ca. 2018-01-04. Retrieved 2018-01-05.