||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||22 February 1974|
|Genres||Trip hop, electronica, big beat|
|Occupation(s)||DJ, recording artist, record label boss|
James Lavelle (born 22 February 1974) is an English electronic musician and record label owner.
In 1996 Mo' Wax released one of electronic music's most celebrated albums, DJ Shadow's seminal Endtroducing...... Soon after this Lavelle started work on an album with DJ Shadow under the name UNKLE. The resulting release Psyence Fiction featured collaborations with Richard Ashcroft, Mike D, Badly Drawn Boy and Thom Yorke. In 2003, he released a follow-up to Psyence Fiction, titled Never, Never, Land, though this album saw DJ Shadow replaced by Richard File as the second full-time member of UNKLE. It featured collaborations with 3D of Massive Attack and Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age among others.
In an August 2006 interview with The Skinny, Lavelle revealed that he was working with Chris Goss and Autolux on the follow-up to Never, Never, Land, entitled War Stories. Of the album's direction, he said “It’s rawer than '‘Psyence Fiction’' and Never, Never, Land although it’s more in the vein of the traditional singer/songwriter. If the first record was UNKLE does hiphop and the second record was UNKLE does electronic, then this one is like UNKLE does rock, but it’ll hopefully still have its continuity.”
- Psyence Fiction (1998)
- Never, Never, Land (2003)
- Edit Music for a Film: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Reconstruction (2005)
- Self Defence: Never, Never, Land Reconstructed and Bonus Beats (2006)
- War Stories (2007)
- More Stories (2008)
- End Titles... Stories For Film (2008)
- Where Did the Night Fall (2010)
- Cream Live Two - Disc 3 (1996)
- Tribal Gathering 96 - Disc 3 (1998)
- FabricLive.01 (2001)
- GU023 Global Underground, Barcelona (2002)
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Beats? (2001)
- Do Androids Dream of Essential Beats? (2003)
- WWIII - UNKLEsounds vs. U.N.K.L.E. (Bootleg, 2004)
- GU026 Global Underground, Romania (2004)
- Big Brother is Watching You (Bootleg of Do Androids Dream of Essential Beats) (2005)
- GU037 Global Underground, Bangkok (2009)
- GU041 Global Underground, Naples (2015)
- "I became a DJ because I couldn't breakdance and I was no good at graffiti."
- "I'm into a whole concept, it's a whole scene. I'm totally involved in it. We cover hip-hop fused music. We want to do this rock hip-hop thing. We are gonna launch a mad hip-hop/thrash fused band, a young Beastie Boys kind of thing. I'm into the total energy of the Beasties and that whole kind of skate thing. I want that energy and total madness surrounding the whole idea."
- On Mo' Wax: "We put out 200 records in 4 or 5 years, I don’t think I’d ever be able to do that again. I don’t think I could ever work like that again, it was just insane."