James Roosevelt (lawyer)
|James Roosevelt III|
|Co-chair of the Rules and Bylaws Committee of the Democratic National Committee|
Assumed office |
|Born||November 9, 1945|
|Spouse(s)||Ann Martha Conlon (m. 1968)|
James Roosevelt |
Romelle Theresa Schneider
|Relatives||See Roosevelt family|
Harvard Law School
Harvard Business School
James Roosevelt III (born November 9, 1945) is an attorney, Democratic Party official, and a grandson of U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Eleanor Roosevelt. As of 2017, he is the co-chair of the Rules and Bylaws Committee of the Democratic National Committee, a position he has held since 1995.
Roosevelt was born on November 9, 1945 to Congressman James Roosevelt (1907–1991) and Romelle Theresa Schneider (1915–2002). His two full siblings are Michael (born December 7, 1946) and Anna (born January 10, 1948). Through his father, he has two elder half-sisters (Sara and Kate), a younger half-brother (Hall), and a younger half-sister (Rebecca). His paternal grandparents were President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (1882–1945) and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt (1884–1962).
Roosevelt graduated from La Salle High School in Pasadena in 1963. He earned his A.B. with honors in government from Harvard College in 1968, his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1971 and later completed the Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School.
After obtaining his J.D. from Harvard Law, Roosevelt spent 10 years as partner at Choate, Hall & Stewart in Boston, Massachusetts. Roosevelt was the associate commissioner for Retirement Policy for the Social Security Administration before joining Tufts Health Plan in 1999 as senior vice president and general counsel. He held that position until June 2005, when he became President and Chief Executive Officer of Tufts Health Plan.
He has also served as chief legal counsel for the Massachusetts Democratic Party. He is past chairman of the board of trustees for the Massachusetts Hospital Association, past president of the American Health Lawyers Association and past chairman of the board of trustees for Mount Auburn Hospital. Currently, Roosevelt serves as chairman of the board of directors for Massachusetts Association of Health Plans, and as a member of the boards at America's Health Insurance Plans, Catholic Democrats, Emmanuel College, and the Kenneth B. Schwartz Center.
He was called upon in 2008 to oversee hearings on controversies related to seating delegates from Florida and Michigan to the 2008 Democratic National Convention. Roosevelt was described as "detail-oriented," and as having great "institutional knowledge." He had not publicly endorsed either Clinton or Obama before the committee meeting.
- Kathleen Ann Roosevelt (born 1978), who married Jeffrey Walker in 2007.
- Theresa Marie "Tracy" Roosevelt (born 1982), who married Robert O’Loughlin in 2016.
- Maura Amy Roosevelt (born 1984), who married Joshua Fisher in 2014.
- "Social Security Death Index". Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- Register of Officers of the Naval Reserve. 1971.
- "Tufts Health Plan Senior Management Group". Retrieved 2008-05-31.
- NPR: Who's Who on the Rules and Bylaws Committee
- MyDD: Vote Counting the DNC Rules & Bylaws Committee Archived 2008-06-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- CNN.com: It's decision day for Democrats Archived 2008-05-31 at the Wayback Machine.
- Bachrach, Bradford (19 November 1967). "Ann Conlon Is Betrothed To James Roosevelt Jr". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- Times, Special To The New York (16 June 1968). "James Roosevelt It. Weds Ann Conlon; St. Paul's Church in, Cambridge Is the Scene oi Bridal". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Kathleen Roosevelt, Jeffrey Walker". The New York Times. 19 August 2007. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Tracy Roosevelt, Robert O'Loughlin". The New York Times. 28 August 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Maura Roosevelt and Joshua Fisher". The New York Times. 20 July 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2017.