James P. M. Syvitski
|Citizenship||United States & Canadian|
|Alma mater||Lakehead University, University of British Columbia|
|Known for||Computational geosciences, sediment transport, land-ocean interactions, earth-surface dynamics|
|Fields||Oceanography, Geological Sciences, Hydrology, Numerical Modeling, Geophysics|
|Institutions||University of Calgary, Bedford Institute of Oceanography, University of Colorado|
Syvitski obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in geology and mathematics in 1974, and an Honors degree geology in 1975 from Lakehead University. In 1978, Syvitski received a PhD from the University of British Columbia in oceanography and geology.
After graduation, Syvitski became an Assistant Professor at the University of Calgary. In 1981, Syvitski moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia to work as a Senior Research Scientist for the Bedford Institute of Oceanography with the Canadian Federal Department Natural Resources Canada. During that period Syvitski received appointments as adjunct professor at Canadian Universities: Dalhousie, Laval Universities, Memorial University of Newfoundland and the Institut national de la recherche scientifique of Quebec.
From 1995-2007 Syvitski was Director of the Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research at the University of Colorado, where they were also awarded professorships in geological sciences and geophysics. In 2007, Syvitski became Executive Director of the Community Surface Dynamics Modeling System and Professor of Oceanography, and in 2009 they were also appointed Professor of Applied Math.
Syvitski served as Chair of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme for the International Council for Science from 2011-2016. During this time (2013-2015) Syvitski was also part of the Advisory Council in the Department of Oceanography at Xiamen University, and from 2013 they were an International Development Advisor for the International Development Research Centre and Department for International Development.
Awards and Honours
|Year||Organisation||Award / Honour|
|2009||Royal Society of Canada||A.G. Huntsman Award for Excellence in the Marine Sciences|
|2010||Fellow||American Geophysical Union|
- "Jai Syvitski". Geological Sciences, University of Colorado Boulder. 2017-07-12. Retrieved 2021-02-25.
- "CURRICULUM VITAE: JAMES P.M. SYVITSKI" (PDF). December 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "Jaia Syvitski". LinkedIn. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "Jaia Syvitski". Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research, University of Colorado Boulder. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "James Syvitski". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "Jaia Syvitski". Springer Nature Sustainability Community. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "Jaia Syvitski". Google Scholar. Retrieved 25 February 2021.