Jamesville, New York
Jamesville, New York
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
Jamesville is a hamlet made up of the outskirts of 5 towns. DeWitt, Lafayette, Manlius, Pompey and Onondaga. Jamesville is located in Onondaga County, Onondaga County, New York, United States, part of the greater Syracuse area.
The hamlet was named for early European-American settler James DeWitt. It was settled in the early Federal period after the American Revolutionary War, when the Iroquois tribes had been forced to cede their lands in New York to the United States.
2007 plant proposal
On January 16, 2007, a New York City company, Empire Synfuel LLC, submitted an application for site plan approval for a proposed coal gasification plant in Jamesville. It was to take over the site where the now abandoned Alpha Portland Cement factory once operated. The plant, projected to cost $1.3 billion and create up to 150 jobs, would have converted coal into synthetic natural gas.
The proposal faced opposition from area residents and town board members, who were concerned about such environmental issues as the proximity of the village's elementary school.
The Jamesville Reservoir is south of the hamlet. Jamesville Beach Park, a county park, includes a small beach on the reservoir, several hiking trails and fields. The fields are the site of the annual Jamesville BalloonFest, where dozens of hot-air balloons take to the air in one weekend. Both the reservoir and park are in the Town of LaFayette, New York, a larger jurisdiction that encompasses Jamesville.
- Danny Schayes (born 1959), college and professional basketball player, son of Dolph Schayes
- Danny Cedrone, (real name Donato 'Danny' Joseph Cedrone, Lead Guitarist on Bill Haley's 'Rock Around the Clock', was born in Jamesville).
The history of the community is documented in the book Water, Wheels and Stone: Heritage of the Little Village by the Creek, Jamesville, New York, written by Jean Schutz Keough, and published in 1976 and 1978 by the Jamesville Historical Book Committee.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 168.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- Knauss, Tim (January 26, 2007). "Concerns aired on syngas plant plan" (PDF). The Post-Standard. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 29, 2007.
- Knauss, Tim (March 25, 2007). "Plant won't keep CO2 out of the atmosphere" (PDF). The Post-Standard. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 29, 2007.
- Nwosu, Nneka (June 6, 2007). "Coal gasification plant proposed for Scriba". News 10 Now.
- Sierra Club, Dewitt Gasification Plant
- Jamesville Community Museum
- Jamesville-DeWitt School District
- History from Jamesville's Glen Loch Restaurant at the Wayback Machine (archived 6 March 2005)
- Community Library of DeWitt and Jamesville official website serving Jamesville and DeWitt