Jamesville, New York
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
The hamlet was named for James DeWitt.
2007 plant proposal
On January 16, 2007, a New York City company, Empire Synfuel LLC, submitted an application for site plan approval for a proposed coal gasification plant in Jamesville where the now abandoned Alpha Portland Cement factory once operated. The plant, projected to cost $1.3 billion and create up to 150 jobs, would have converted coal into synthetic natural gas. The proposal faced opposition from area residents and town board members who were concerned about such issues as the extremely close proximity of the village's elementary school.
The Jamesville Reservoir is south of the hamlet. Jamesville Beach Park, a county park, includes a small beach on the reservoir, several hiking trails and fields. The fields are the site of the annual Jamesville BalloonFest, where dozens of hot-air balloons take to the air in one weekend. Both the reservoir and park are in the town of LaFayette, New York.
This section does not cite any sources. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The history of the community is documented in the book Water, Wheels and Stone: Heritage of the Little Village by the Creek, Jamesville, New York, written by Jean Schutz Keough, and published in 1976 and 1978 by the Jamesville Historical Book Committee.
- Danny Schayes (born 1959), college and professional basketball player, son of Dolph Schayes
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 168.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Knauss, Tim (January 26, 2007). "Concerns aired on syngas plant plan" (PDF). The Post-Standard. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 29, 2007.
- Knauss, Tim (March 25, 2007). "Plant won't keep CO2 out of the atmosphere" (PDF). The Post-Standard. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 29, 2007.
- Nwosu, Nneka (June 6, 2007). "Coal gasification plant proposed for Scriba". News 10 Now.
- Sierra Club, Dewitt Gasification Plant