Jason Binn 2012
|Occupation||Founder Du Jour Magazine, Chief Advisor Gilt Groupe, Editor Getty/WireImage/BinnShot|
In the summer of 2012, Jason Binn founded DuJour Media, a multi-platform digital and print magazine utilizing targeted analytics to reach more than 3 million readers and users monthly across the country. This publication targets the affluent market and chronicles the world of the nation's wealthiest individuals. DuJour’s strategic partners include Gilt.
Prior to the launch of DuJour, Binn founded Niche Media in 1992, a leading publisher of luxury regional magazines nationwide (Aspen Peak, Boston Common, Capitol File, Gotham, Hamptons, Los Angeles Confidential, Michigan Avenue, Ocean Drive, Philadelphia Style and Vegas). In addition, a custom publishing department was created under Niche Media, which created publications for Art Basel Miami Beach, Wynn Las Vegas and the Short Hills Mall for the Taubman real estate organization. In 2006, Binn sold Niche Media for an undisclosed sum to the Greenspun Media Group (GMG) continuing to serve as CEO. In 2007, GMG purchased the Ocean Drive Media Group, which Binn co-owned and founded. After the successful merger and transition, Binn continued to oversee the operations and management of the company as CEO until his resignation in 2010.
In August 2010, Binn engaged the digital e-commerce space and was retained as a senior adviser to Gilt Groupe. In this position, Binn worked across each of Gilt Groupe’s platforms, nurturing and developing relationships and creating strategic partnerships. Launched in 2007, Gilt Groupe reported gross revenues of $25 million in 2008 and currently does approximately $600 million in annual revenue.
In September 2011, Binn created a strategic partnership with Getty Images and WireImage, the leading creator and distributor of digital media. Binn’s partnership with Getty/WireImage promotes his personal photography and BinnShot.com. All proceeds benefit Best Buddies International, founded by Anthony Shriver, a non-profit organization (for which Binn serves as a board member) dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Binn’s career began when he co-founded Ocean Drive at age 25, building what Business Week called “a fast-growing empire” of upscale glossies that cornered the regional publishing market. In 2005, Binn was profiled in Forbes magazine’s “Forbes 400.” In 2006, he was awarded Ernst & Young’s “Entrepreneur of the Year,” and in 2007, he was inducted into the American Advertising Federation’s “Advertising Hall of Achievement” (the only magazine recipient for that year). In 2008, Binn was featured in Crain’s “40 Under 40” list of successful entrepreneurs. In 2009, Dean Tom Fielder presented Binn with Boston University’s “Distinguished Alumni Award for Service to the Profession” for his work in the field of communications. Binn continues to serve on the board at Boston University. Between 1988 - 1990 Binn also attended the University of Cincinnati where he lived in Calhoun Hall and was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha.
Awards and recognitions
- Inducted into the American Advertising Federation's “Advertising Hall of Achievement”
- Boston University's Distinguished Alumni Award for Service to Profession for his leadership and cutting edge work in the field of communication presented by Dean Tom Fielder (from a total of over 25,000 candidates) and currently serves on the board.
- Webby award winner for Best Home/Welcome Page for DuJour.com with an honorable mention for Best Structure and Navigation.
- AdWeek Hot List Readers’ Choice Poll winner for Best Newcomer.
- Named one of the Most Innovative and Influential Media Visionaries of the Year on Folio: 100 List.
- min’s Editorial & Design Awards winner for Best Print Launch & Best Website Design.
- Webby Awards finalist for Best Web Magazine.
- Named among Top 10 Best Covers for Reader’s Choice Award (ASME).
- min’s Editorial & Design Awards finalist for Best Investigative Journalism (2013 & 2014).