|Born||Jason Frederick Binn
Roslyn Harbour, NY
|Residence||New York City|
|Alma mater||Boston University|
|Known for||DuJour Media, Ocean Drive Magazine, Niche Media|
Jason Binn is an American publisher and entrepreneur.
Binn is the founder of Ocean Drive magazine, a luxury publication focusing on Miami, in 1993. In 1998, he founded Niche Media, a publisher of numerous regional luxury magazines such as Hamptons Magazine, Aspen Peak, Boston Common, Capitol File, Gotham, Los Angeles Confidential and Michigan Avenue.
Binn added a custom publishing department to Niche Media, which created publications for Art Basel Miami Beach, Wynn Las Vegas and the Short Hills Mall for the Taubman real estate organization. Niche was acquired by Greenspun Media Group in 2007.
He has been credited with breaking a number of major stories, including an exclusive interview with Dennis Rodman on his visit to North Korea as a guest of Kim Jong-un, and Donald Sterling after his racist rant where he admitted he should have paid off his ex-girlfriend.
In March 2016, Binn posted a photo on Instagram featuring Ivana Trump with her newest grandson born to Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, but as a courtesy to the family, he removed the photo soon after.
Binn, as someone who built a business on glossy photos of the rich and famous, he is supporter of the new generation of wealthy millennials, such as designer Andrew Warren, who is part of a young group that understands the impact if social media and the use of imagery and photographs to inspire new followers.
Awards and recognition
In 2007, he was inducted into the American Advertising Federation's “Advertising Hall of Achievement”.
In 2008, Binn was featured in Crain’s “40 Under 40” list of successful entrepreneurs.
In 2008, Binn received the Boston University's Distinguished Alumni Award for Service to Profession for his leadership and cutting edge work in the field of communications and media.
In fall 2012, Crain's New York said that Binn, "as befits a lone entrepreneur, has the most unique strategy", for making print magazines successful in a time print is losing steam to digital media
Binn serves as a board member at Anthony Shriver's Best Buddies International, a non-profit organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Goldman, Andrew (1999-05-31). "The Hamptons Menace? Jason Binn Is Everybody's New Best Friend". Observer.
- "A DAY WITH LUXURY MAGAZINE MAGNATE JASON BINN". adage.com. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- KRISCHER GOODMAN, CINDY (8 Mar 2015). "Lifestyle magazines in South Florida: glossy, glamorous and growing". Miami Herald.
- Editor, Mondo Times (23 Jul 2014). "Niche Media Sold to Greengale Publishing LLC". Mondo Code LLC.
- "New CEO Takes Over Niche Media; Jason Binn Becomes Chairman". Foliomag.com. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- Stoeffel, Kat (2012-02-28). "He’s Binn Busy! With Du Jour, Jason Binn Homes in on Familiar Niche, Digitally". New York Observer.
- Steigrad, Alexandra (13 Jun 2014). "Catching Up With Jason Binn". FAIRCHILD FASHION MEDIA. Women's Wear Daily.
- Channick, Robert (2012-10-10). "DuJour magazine on the menu for those with the most money in Chicago, U.S". Chicago Tribune.
- "Niche Media Founder Jason Binn and Gilt Launch Magazine for the Uber-Wealthy". AdWeek.com. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- Koblin, John (4 May 2014). "For Luxury Magazine, an Unusual Exclusive". New York Times.
- "Search for Editorial Photos". wireimage.com. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- VanMetre, Elizabeth (29 Mar 2016). "Ivana Trump is All Smiles While Visiting Newest Grandson Theodore". Entertainment Online.
- JAGANNATHAN, MEERA (29 Mar 2016). "Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka, husband Jared Kushner arrive home with baby boy". New York Daily News.
- ROSMAN, KATHERINE (6 Apr 2016). "Move Over, Rat Pack and Brat Pack: Here Comes the Snap Pack". New York Times.
- "Buckraker". forbes.com. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- "Have You Binn Honored Recently?". adweek.com. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- "Advertising Hall of Achievement Past Honorees". American Advertising Federation. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Flamm, Matthew (12 Oct 2012). "Where is Jason Binn now?". Cran Communications. Crain's NY.
- University, Boston. "Distinguished Alumni ->2008". Boston University.
- Flamm, Matthew (15 Apr 2012). "Magazines dying? Don't tell the 1%". Crain Communications. Crain's New York.
- "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS; Haley Lieberman, Jason Binn". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- Grigoriadis, Vanessa (1998-08-03). "Hamptons Heat Wave: The Power and the Glossy". New York Magazine.
- Smith, Russ (2001-03-06). "Al Gore's Last Chance; Jason Binn, NYC's Crassest New Resident". Strauss Media. NY Resident.
- Spargo, Chris. "Celebrity magazine publisher Jason Binn and wife Haley quietly separate after 12 years of marriage". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- MacKaye Harrington, Douglas (23 Aug 2009). "Governor Attends Best Buddies Gala In Support Of Volunteerism". Hamptons Online Media. Hamptons Magazine.
- Miller, Robert (21 Jul 2010). "Ridgefield animal shelter sparks debate". Hearst Media Services Connecticut. News Times.
- "Jason Binn, CEO DuJour". DuJour Media. Dujour Magazine.
- Pearl, Karen. "A MESSAGE FROM Karen Pearl" (PDF) (Spring 2013). God's Love We Deliver.