Jefferson Township, Preble County, Ohio
|Jefferson Township, Preble County, Ohio|
Ebenezer Mennonite Church at Gettysburg
Location of Jefferson Township in Preble County
|• Total||35.5 sq mi (91.8 km2)|
|• Land||35.3 sq mi (91.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,161 ft (354 m)|
|• Density||94.4/sq mi (36.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086851|
Jefferson Township is one of the twelve townships of Preble County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 3,309 people in the township, 1,680 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Harrison Township, Darke County - north
- Butler Township, Darke County - northeast corner
- Monroe Township - east
- Washington Township - southeast corner
- Jackson Township - south
- Wayne Township, Wayne County, Indiana - west
- Franklin Township, Wayne County, Indiana - northwest
The village of New Paris is located in western Jefferson Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Fire and EMS Services
Fire and EMS services are provided Northwest Fire and Ambulance District. The department is stationed in New Pairs and was originally the New Paris Fire Department. In 1984 the New Pairs Community passed a levy to combine the New Paris Fire Department and the New Paris-Jefferson Township Emergency Squad into the Northwest Fire and Ambulance District on January 1st, 1985.  They also serve the Northern part of Jackson Township, Preble County, Ohio
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Preble County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 256. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- "History of Northwest Fire and EMS". NW Fire and Ambulance District. Retrieved 2017-03-06.