Jennifer Holloway is an American operatic mezzo-soprano and soprano who has made an international career performing at leading opera houses and festivals. She began as a mezzo-soprano singing roles such as Adalgisa in Bellini's Norma, and moved to soprano roles such as Salome and Grete Graumann in Schreker's Der ferne Klang.
Holloway was born in Ohio. She studied voice at the University of Georgia and the Manhattan School of Music. In 2005, she won first prize at the Georgia region of the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions. In 2006, she won Fort Worth Opera's McCammon Competition.
Holloway achieved international recognition when she appeared at the Santa Fé Opera in 2006 as Le Prince Charmant in Massenet's Cendrillon alongside Joyce DiDonato as Cinderella. She made her debut with the Metropolitan Opera in the 2010/11 season as Flora in Verdi's La traviata, and returned in the 2012/13 season as Tebaldo in his Don Carlos. She appeared at the Israel National Opera as Adalgisa in Bellini's Norma.
She first performed the title role of Salome by Richard Strauss at the Semperoper, where she also appeared as Cassandre in Les Troyens by Berlioz in the 2017/18 season. She first performed the role of Sieglinde in Wagner's Die Walküre at the Hamburg State Opera.
In 2018, she appeared as Donna Elvira in Mozart's Don Giovanni in an open air performance of the broadcaster NDR in Hanover. In 2019, she appeared as Grete Graumann in Franz Schreker's Der ferne Klang at the Oper Frankfurt where the opera had received its world premiere, as the composer's breakthrough, in 1912. Staged by Damiano Michieletto, she portrayed the main character as a girl, a queen of the demimonde, and an old woman. A reviewer noted her sensitive acting in all stages of the woman's life, with a brilliant high register and at the same time a lyrical warm timbre ("in der Höhe strahlenden wie lyrisch warmem Sopran").
- "Jennifer Holloway" (PDF). Grant Park Music Festival. 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "Jennifer Holloway / Mezzo-soprano". English National Opera. 2017. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "Jennifer Holloway, mezzo-soprano". Israel Opera. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "5. NDR Klassik Open Air / 25. August 2018" (PDF). NDR (in German). 2018. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "Jennifer Holloway / Soprano". Oper Frankfurt (in German). 2019. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- Peter, Wolf-Dieter (1 April 2019). "Traumparabel des Scheiterns – Faszinierende Rückkehr von Schrekers "Der ferne Klang" an den Uraufführungsort Frankfurt" (in German). Neue Musikzeitung. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Brachmann, Jan (3 April 2019). ""Der ferne Klang" in Frankfurt : Bringt Musik die Menschen wirklich zueinander?". Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- Wurzel, Christoph (31 March 2019). "Der ferne Klang / Oper in drei Akten / Musik und Libretto von Franz Schreker" (in German). Online Musik Magazin. Retrieved 3 April 2019.