June 25, 1988 |
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||75 kg (165 lb; 11 st 11 lb)|
|Los Angeles Kings
|NHL Draft||46th overall, 2006
Jhonas Erik Enroth (born June 25, 1988) is a Swedish ice hockey goaltender currently with the Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League (NHL). He has also played for the Buffalo Sabres and Dallas Stars.
In 2007 he was named as the first of four candidates for Elitserien 2008 Rookie of the Year. The award was eventually won by another goaltender, Daniel Larsson. He ended the 2007–08 regular season in Sweden as the leading goaltender in save percentage and goals against average. On May 31, 2008, Enroth signed a three-year level entry contract with the Buffalo Sabres in the NHL. He also was the top European goaltender in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He had his first NHL pre-season appearance on September 22, playing the second half of the game for the Buffalo Sabres.
On February 22, 2009, he was recalled to Buffalo from the Portland Pirates before he was returned to the Pirates without featuring in a game. On November 4, 2009, he was recalled again to Buffalo. Enroth made his NHL debut against the Boston Bruins November 7, 2009 in a losing effort, giving up four goals. He did not get another chance at the NHL level until November 3, 2010 of the 2010–11 NHL season, when he played 20 minutes of an away game against the Boston Bruins, allowing three goals on just twelve shots to record his second NHL loss.
Enroth recorded his first NHL victory in a shootout over the Toronto Maple Leafs by the score of 3-2 on November 6, 2010 in Toronto; his second NHL victory also came in a shootout against the New Jersey Devils on November 10, 2010. His third NHL victory came in a ten round shootout against the Montreal Canadians on February 15, 2011, which, in winning, he became the first goaltender in NHL history to record all three of his first wins in shootouts.
Enroth earned his first NHL shutout on March 30, 2011 against the New York Rangers stopping 23 shots. Incidentally, his parents were in attendance at the game, having flown over from Sweden to see him. On April 4, 2011, Enroth was named one of NHL's three stars for the week ending April 3. On April 26, 2011, Enroth appeared in his first NHL playoff game, relieving Ryan Miller. His debut saw the majority of the third period, allowing one goal in eight shots against. Enroth was named to the 2011-12 All-Rookie Team during the NHL Awards on June 20, 2012. He was the sixth player in Sabres franchise history to be named to the All-Rookie Team.
During the 2012-13 NHL Lockout he first practiced with his original club Huddinge IK and played two games with them in the third tier league. He then signed with Almtuna IS from Uppsala just north of Stockholm, in the second tier league, and played there until the NHL season started.
With the Sabres outside the Stanley Cup playoffs, the door was open for the national team Tre Kronor, and he went on to play in the World Championships, where Sweden broke a 27-year-old curse and won the gold medals. First time since 1986 a hosting nation won the title. Enroth was highly acclaimed for his efforts and was selected in the All Star Team of the tournament.
On June 20, 2013, Enroth signed a two-year deal to remain with the Sabres. Enroth was promoted to starting goaltender on February 28, 2014, after Ryan Miller, the Sabres previous starting goaltender, was traded to the St. Louis Blues.
- Elitserien 2007–08 Rookie of the Year Nominee
- Professional Hockey Writers Association All-Rookie team, 2011–12
- 2011-12 NHL NHL All-Rookie Team (1st)
- Weekly Three Stars 2010-11 Week of Apr 4
- Goalkeeper in the All Star Team, World Championships 2013
- "Jhonas Enroth Årets Rookiekandidat 1" (in Swedish). Swedish Ice Hockey Association. 2007-10-19. Retrieved 2007-10-20.[dead link]
- "Larsson named Elitserien Rookie of the year". European Hockey.Net. Retrieved June 26, 2008.
- "Jhonas Enroth". Elite Prospects. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "BUFFALO SABRES SIGN JHONAS ENROTH". Buffalo Sabres. 2008-05-31. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- Sabres vs. Bruins - 11/07/2009 - Buffalo Sabres - Recap
- Sabres Stumble to Another Home Loss | WKBW News 7: News, Sports, Weather | Buffalo, NY | WKBW Sports
- Shootout victory ends Sabres' slide - Sports - The Buffalo News
- Buffalo Sabres: Jhonas Enroth Making His Case As Backup Goaltender | Bleacher Report
- Buffalo Sabres vs. Montreal Canadiens - Recap - February 15, 2011 - ESPN
- NHL.com - Recap - NHL.com - Recap
- Corey Perry tops 'Three Stars' of the week - NHL.com - News
- Enroth Named to All-Rookie Team
- "Sabres’ Enroth traded to Dallas Stars". Sportsnet. February 11, 2015. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "LA Kings sign Jhonas Enroth to hold Jonathan Quick's hat for a season". Yahoo! Sports. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- Sabres' Enroth named to All-Rookie team. The Buffalo News. Retrieved June 21, 2012.