July 24, 1952 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Queens College, City University of New York|
|Occupation||Pollster, political operative|
Joel Benenson (born July 24, 1952) is an American pollster and consultant known for his role as a strategist for Barack Obama's 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns. He was the chief strategist for Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign.
He is the CEO of Benenson Strategy Group, a strategic consulting firm, and served as a communications and polling advisor to the White House for Barack Obama. He has been a strategist for U.S. senators, governors and mayors, as well as Fortune 500 companies. He was a pollster for the DCCC in 2006, when the Democrats won back the majority in the House of Representatives.
In 1995, he worked as a Political Journalist for the Daily News in New York and served as Communications Director for Governor Mario Cuomo’s 1994 campaign. He was previously a Vice President at the New York ad agency FCB.
Benenson has served as a consultant to American companies and CEOs, including Procter & Gamble’s A.G. Lafley, General Electric’s Jack Welch and AOL’s Bob Pittman. He has helped corporate clients. He was a strategic researcher for Procter & Gamble's launch of Olestra, the fat substitute; he helped AOL manage its capacity crisis in the late ’90s and a New York City coalition block Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s plans for an Olympic stadium in Manhattan.
- "Emerging Clinton campaign draws heavily from Obama alumni".
- "Hillary Clinton recruits chief strategist, media adviser for 2016 effort".
- "Hillary for America-Organization and Staff of Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign".
- CAPUZZO, JILL (3 February 2008). "Obama Seldom Asks His Pollster to Play the Role of an Oracle". New York Times. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- C-SPAN Video Polling in the 2012 Election, 9/4/12
- Goodspeed, Peter. "Pollster fine-tunes President's message." National Post, 19 June 2009
- "Obama Seldom Asks His Pollster to Play the Role of an Oracle". The New York Times. 3 February 2008.
- "President Counts on Jersey Pollster".
- "Pass notes No 2,725: Joel Benenson". 8 February 2010 – via The Guardian.
- Issenberg, Sasha (1 September 2012). "Why Campaign Reporters Are Behind the Curve". The New York Times.
- "Benenson Strategy Group".
- "LDI Health Policy Seminar with Joel Benenson – LDI".
- "Joel Benenson, Co-Founder of iModerate, to Speak at the ARF Industry Leader Forum". 21 October 2008.
- "Daily Research News Online no. 17780 – Kantar Snaps Up Obama Pollster BSG".
- "Clinton brings in Mook, Benenson for likely team".